(Closed) how do you change your name after you get married?

posted 7 years ago in Names
Post # 3
1235 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

@eholland: Talk to the court. You have to go through them and pay for it. Might as well get the paperwork when you get your marriage license. Make sure to let everybody, like bank, insurance, Dr.s, etc… know that you changed your name.

Post # 4
1944 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

@eholland: Actually it doesn’t go in effect when you are pronounced husband and wife. You have to wait until your marriage license is signed by the officiant and turned into the clerk of courts. You then get a marriage certificate, this your legal document showing you are officially married. You then take this to the social security office first to have it changed then the BMV etc. If you wait for your officiant to sign and mail it in it does take a few weeks. However, we did not have a honeymoon just took a few days off so I had my officiant give us our license back and took it to the clerk of courts that Monday and had everything done by Tuesday. Every state is different but also pretty similar to the protocol.

The topic ‘how do you change your name after you get married?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors