(Closed) How do you feel about your new husband’s last name?

posted 12 years ago in Names
  • poll: How do you feel about your new husband's last name?
    Love it! : (90 votes)
    32 %
    Like it. : (122 votes)
    43 %
    Hate it. : (33 votes)
    12 %
    Other (explain) : (38 votes)
    13 %
  • Post # 92
    676 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2009

I’d have the same initials if I changed my name…but his is SOOOOO common and mine is kinda fun and different. I think I will use his informally but stick with my last name professionally.

Post # 93
    134 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 2009

His is fine. It’s very plain-Jane and boring. Mine is much more unique, although not partidularly difficult to spell or pronounce. I’m very attached to my name and won’t be changing it; he’s considering changing his, which I think would be pretty cool, but it’s obviously his decision. I mean, he doesn’t care that I’m not taking his name, so it would be pretty ridiculous for me to be offended if he decides he doesn’t want to take mine!

Post # 94
    250 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

I voted like it, because his last name isn’t bad: Holmgren. Very Swedish. I want to change my name as it makes me feel like we are transitioning into our own family. He was especially understanding when it first came up. FH knows I’m rather independent and I think he assumed I wouldn’t want to change and even though it made him sad, he told me he was ok with it. I fooled him!

I do love my maiden name though. 1 syllable first name, 1 syllable last name. It’s easy, memorable and to the point. I’ll be a little sad to change, but it’s for a good cause!

Post # 95
    213 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 2009

I went from a short last name to another short last name. Both have nice meanings, so I don’t mind taking on his. I’m keeping my maiden name for my Korean name though. My dad did a great job in creating a pun, and it just doesn’t sound the same with hubby’s name. 😛

Post # 96
    83 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: June 2009

i want to keep my name. it’s a part of my identity and culture. i don’t hate his, but i do not want it…and he really wants me to take it. i don’t know what to do.

Post # 97
    113 posts
    Blushing bee

I really dislike his last name.  I’d probably go so far as to say that I hate it. It is a name that is just soooo open for dumb puns and taunting. He has gotten them all his life, and I already get some, just for being engaged to him. It also sounds terrible with my name. But I like FH much more than I dislike his last name, so I am compromising and hyphenating. While I am getting used to living with his last name, I can still buffer it with my maiden name, and if I ever learn to like (okay, realistically, tolerate) it, then I can go by only his.

Post # 98
    25 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: August 2009

alshv2: I am in the same boat.  I really dislike FH’s last name (but really, really like him!) primarily because of all the jokes it tends to attract.  Honestly, I feel bad for our kids, but I guess if he had to put up with it, so will they.  I’m considering hyphenating, but his last name doesn’t really work well with my maiden name, so I may just suck it up and change over at the start.  I’m also a little bummed because my first name is very unusual and difficult to pronounce whereas my last name is super common.  I liked having the contrast.  I will now have difficult first name AND a difficult last name.  Hmmm…unless I change my first name too…

Post # 99
    14181 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

It’s so boring….*snooze* there are a million people out there with this last name. There are only a handful with my current name. My current last name and my future last name are both one syllable and start with S. No change in monogram, and they sound stupid hyphenated. My new last name sounds so matronly

Post # 100
    7429 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2009

Haha, I don’t mind it but I do feel nostalgic for losing my uncommon hard to pronounce and always misspelled last name.  I will take the plunge, and at least his is easy to pronounce, although its pronounced differently than its spelled, and the way its spelled is actually a different word (if that makes any sense!)  So I guess its not all a lose, and our first names rhyme so at least I know it’ll sound good with my first name!  We also discussed hypenating and both taking that name, and although it sounds pretty cool together, we couldnt’ deal with the mispronunciation and misspelling of both last names all the time

Post # 101
    100 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

I really liked what will be my new name…until one of my friends said I kind of sound like a 10pm local news anchor…

Post # 102
    53 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: July 2009

i’m keeping my maiden name professionally but socially i’ll take his last name.   i’m not crazy about it but because i’m keeping my last name, i don’t have strong feelings.

Post # 103
    159 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: August 2009

I guess I do not care all that much.  One good thing is that I’m moving from the bottom of the alphabet to the top.  Perhaps that would’ve been more helpful in elementary school though.  I do feel a bit sad about not having the same last name as my family anymore.  Mostly, I am just excited to take his name and be his wife!

Post # 104
    80 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: March 2009

I don’t mind taking HIS last name, I just don’t want to have the same last name as his parents. I will take his last name but am not thrilled about having their name.

Post # 105
    289 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

I LOVE his last name.  It is so German just like both of us.  Pluss it is shorter than mine is now and totally makes my initials better.  hehe.  Although people commonly mispronounce it.

Post # 106
    16 posts
    Newbee

I am all over the map on this one.  Fiance and I haven’t discussed the name issue yet, but while I like the unity aspect, I really hate the idea of having to subsume part of my identity to his when he doesn’t have to change at all in order to have that unity.  (I realize not every bride will see it that way, but that is how *I* see it.  I won’t be addressing any of our invitations "Mr. and Mrs. [husband’s name]" either.)

I would be happiest if we would both hyphenate as I think that is the fairest solution, and solves the problem of future children, but I don’t see him going for it.  I will probably not hyphenate mine if he does not because we would still have different names then, so what’s the point?

I could keep mine, but then I’d become the outsider name-wise when we had children (because if he won’t go for hyphenating now I kind of doubt he will for our kids).  I don’t want to get rid of any part of my original name, but I could make my maiden name a second middle name, and possibly use it as a second middle name for our children.

The problem is I feel like this is going to be an issue that is REALLY super-important to both of us, so there will be no easy way to decide.

The topic ‘How do you feel about your new husband’s last name?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors