- 5 years ago
Last year, we had plans on moving back home… except, obviously, the Boyfriend or Best Friend had to find a job first.
Because we live on the opposite side of the country, he’d have Skype and phone interviews… which he’d bomb.
He’d take the interview in his office in our apartment, and I’d pretend to leave (but I’d really stay and listen) and it was PAINFUL to hear.
He was SO nervous each and every time, he stuttered SO much and said “Um” and “Uh” and tripped over his words. He sounded like he had no idea what he was talking about.
He’s a web designer, so a lot of the interviews involved technical scenario questions, which… he bombed. I actually heard one of the interviewers go “Yeaaah… ok… I think we’ve seen enough.”
I felt really bad… I asked him if he wanted to do practice interviews, but he didn’t. I encouraged him, and told him to just pretend like the interviewer is me. I also told him to slowwww dowwwwwn. (Another problem is, when he gets nervous, he RATTLESreallyFASTandYOUdontKNOWwhatTHEhellHEjustSAID.)
After 2 1/2 months, and 7 interviews, he got 0 job offers. So we decided that maybe “now” isn’t the time to try and move back home. So he had about 4 interviews here, in CA, and finally, on the last one, he was offered a job. He has a great resume, with reliable references, and a nice portfolio… he just gets really nervous and clumsy.
I’ve asked him if he’s interested in taking night classes, so he can brush up on his knowledge (because he’s completely self-taught. no schooling at all, besides High school) but he’s not interested in doing that either. Plus a lot of places want a degree of some sort, no matter how much work experience you have…
So… next time, what should we do? Should he FLY out for the interview for face-to-face? That would get hella expensive… wouldn’t it? Is there a way to line-up a few interviews in a row so it’d be worth the price of the flight? If so, how? We were just applying to places on Craigslist and Monster the whole time.
Sorry if this seems really stupid… I’m just trying to find the most logical way of making this work next time. Our plan is to move back home in 2015. I don’t think I can handle another disappointment of not being able to. 🙁