(Closed) How do you underestimate shipping costs by $600?? Are you kidding me???

posted 7 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
4771 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I donno what’s up with the $240 for shipping,you shuold def see how much it was when you get the package and complain.

Unfortunately, you are not exempt from paying import taxes, donno where you got that from, but if you leave the country and take your wedding dress with you you can claim that money back.  I had to do that with a Bridesmaid or Best Man dress before and got all my money back.

Donno what to say except that you should’ve done your research, there is a reason UK brides don’t buy from the US eventhough it seems as they will be getting a great deal.

Post # 4
420 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Ooh, that sucks. I think the shipping is something that the store might be (morally) responsible for. They did tell you $50 and that is their mistake for not actually checking how much shipping would actually be. Or the original quote for $50 was for a 4-6 week delivery date and they just went ahead with quicker shipping, to make up for the 3 month delay, and expect you to pay! I’d fight to get them to pay that fee. Not sure if they will though.

But… about the import fees, I think you will have to pay those. Regardless of being an American citizen or not, you are still bringing an item from America into the UK. Depending on the declared value on the package, you have to pay those fees. You can possibly try to negotiate them, but I doubt you will get anywhere. Most often you have to pay that when bringing something of value from one country to another. Again, depending on the declared value on the package, which has to be accurate for insurance purposes. You could go ahead and not accept the package and return to sender. Then ask the bridal shop for a refund. But you will probably be out all of the shipping expenses, cause why should/would they pay those?

Tough spot to be in. Try to work out which is the best option for you. Good luck!

Post # 5
2161 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

We get hit with import fees every time I use UPS from the US.   I have started using regular mail, but express instead.

The shop should cover at least half of the shipping fees, if not all, but the import fees are yours.   They should have warned you about that too. 

I would call them and see what they can do.  Can they return your dress and refund you?

Post # 6
4771 posts
Honey bee

By The Way you should make sure to sign for the dress (i hop it’s addressed to you) since you won’t even be able to get that money back if you do take the dress out of the country.

Post # 7
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

Sounds right to me. It cost $75 in the states to ship my dress – they can be very heavy and bulky! Things like insurance cost extra. And of course, when you ship items internationally, you are obviously responsible for VAT and duty. You should have done a lot more research before ordering a dress outside the country. Were there no dresses in the entire UK that you wanted??

Post # 8
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

(also, customs could have stopped you coming into the UK on the plane with your dress and charged you the same import fees. If you had not declared the dress, you would have been subject to even stiffer penalties)

Post # 10
420 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

@UK Bride: You know, what you said about being reimbursed, makes sense. I’m sure when you leave the UK next time, if you take the dress and receipts for the fees with you, they will refund the money.

Are you a UK citizen? Cause I assumed (my mistake to assume) that you had dual citizenship.. not sure how much that would matter. But I think if you are not a UK citizen, and are bringing your dress from your own country, that you should definitely be able to reclaim the duties you paid on it, as the dress is not staying nor being re-sold in the UK.

Keep the receipt for all of those fees and start to process of claiming them back, before you leave the UK. Whenever that may be!

Good for you for approaching the bridal shop about the shipping fees. Most people, well, good people, tend to do the right thing. That was very decent of them to admit fault and help out with the costs. Wish it was the same for everyone in all cases.

Yay for getting your dress, and at a lower price! Hope you enjoy it!

Post # 11
355 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

whoa!!! Something is not right… my boyfriend just shipped a big heavy @ss guitar to Germany… the shipping was only like 80 bucks. I can’t even imagine why it would be that much. I would definitely do some calling and investigating!

Post # 13
4771 posts
Honey bee

I forget whether I had to show that I had the dress with me or not at the airport.  I think I didn’t, but i guess it depends who you run into when getting your money back.  I was travelling with the dress though since the wedding was in the US and it would be usless for abroad.   But you def should be able to get all of customs back.

The topic ‘How do you underestimate shipping costs by $600?? Are you kidding me???’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors