(Closed) How do your husband/other half & your parents get along? Curious

posted 8 years ago in Relationships
Post # 17
13563 posts
Honey Beekeeper

My parents and my husband get along well, but they’re not so chummy that they talk on the phone. And I adore his parents, so we’re in good shape.

Post # 18
1425 posts
Bumble bee

They get along quite well. Fiance is a pretty easy-going guy, so he can get along with most people and chat them up. Same with my family, actually. There is a few conflicting opinions between them, but they’re all adults and know what to discuss and what not to with each other. Dad and Fiance share a common career and interests so that makes it much easier.

Post # 19
1902 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

My SO gets on with my parents, and I get on with his parents. We are like the extra son/daughter they never had. I wouldn’t go as far as to say we chat on the phone to them on our own, we usually visit them together these days.

Post # 20
2142 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I’m def much closer with his folks than he is with my mom. Mainly because of the language barrier.

Post # 21
688 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

They get along well. Everyone likes each other, but Fiance is kind of shy/quiet so I wouldn’t say they’re approaching BFF territory or anything like that. It doesn’t help that he and my dad have completely different interests and completely different political thoughts. I think my parents want to be closer to him (like more on a son level) but I think it will just take time for him to open up.

Post # 22
74 posts
Worker bee

My parents adore him!  He loves my parents but even after 4 years Darling Husband is still afriad of my dad, he can be a bit intimidating.  He doesn’t mean to, it is just that he is a very sucessful man and Darling Husband is used to men like my father.

Post # 23
170 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

My parents didn’t like him. My dad still has issues. We have been through a lot and have grown up. They are friendly when we visit. I see my dad 3-4x a week usually after I get off work. My SO usually comes once with me. I get along with his dad. His mother is a whole other story. Neither my SO or his two siblings get along with their mother.

Post # 24
22 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Mt Fiance and my mom get along really well. He has really made an effort to make himself a part of my family and I his. He will even get my mom gifts when he’s out of town on business and will sometimes stop by her work when I’m at work and he’s in town early.

My step father passed away a year ago and it was really hard on my entire family (especially my 7 year old sister who was a serious daddy’s girl) so my Fiance really took it upon himself to kind of step up and make sure my mom and little sister are okay. It’s uaully little things like taking the trash out when he comes over and playing with our dog who has been kind of neglected this past year and watching movies with my sister.

He’s a big family guy and he knows how much my family means to me.

He hasn’t met my father yet as he lives in a different state. I’m not totally sure how they will get on, but I don’t think it will be too bad. They have a lot in common and Fiance is a really friendly, laid back, get’s-along-with-everyone kind of guy. I’m so lucky to have him.

Post # 25
1524 posts
Bumble bee

My fiancé and my mom get along pretty well. They aren’t very close or anything, but they talk when they’re around each other. My fiancé doesn’t really know my dad/stepmom because they live five hours a way and I rarely even talk to them. On the other hand, I spend time with his mom all the time and hang out with his parents without him more often than with him being there as well. 

Post # 26
5282 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2009

My parents adore my husband & they have a great realtionship. Sadly, my husband once told me he feels more warmth from my mom, then from his own mother…

But thank goodness the past issues that we have had with his parents are dissipated & now have a better relationship. However, I find myself a little jealous that he has such a great realtionship with my parents, but I don’t with his.

Post # 27
384 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2017

My Fi and mother don’t really work out in the same room, though they are ok on the phone occasionally. This only works because my family is 17 hours from us, but on the other hand his racist catholic father(not that the racism and being catholic have anything to do with each other but the hating me is mostly due to I’m Creole and pagan and him being a completely abusive dick).So basically I just figure that is just how this particular situation is going to go.

Post # 28
642 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

My dad loves my Fiance and they have conversations often. Neither one has called each other to just talk or hang out. I just moved in with my dad so he can take care of me, I have health issues, and they see each other almost daily. My dad has even said Fiance could stay here, something that has never happened in my entire life, my sisters husbands were never offered that. They really get along well! I love my Fiance parents too, there is a language barrier, but we figure it out and I really like them. I will hang out with his family without him.

The topic ‘How do your husband/other half & your parents get along? Curious’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors