Post # 1
When to send them out????
Wedding is early Feb (about 5 1/2 months away.) Venue needs final head count by end of Dec. RSVP deadline is Dec 1. I sent out SDTs early July. Invitations are stuffed and ready to go. Is it too soon?
The wedding is in HI… guests will be coming from all over the country. Website has been up for months with flight and hotel details so Im not too worried about notice time.
Post # 3
We’re going to send save-the-dates out in February (so, 9 months–a little early, but we have a lot of Out of Town guests) and our invites will go out around September 19 with an RSVP date of October 14.
It’s a good idea to send invites 8 weeks in advance, with an RSVP date of maybe 4 weeks before your date. Maybe add 2-3 weeks to that timeline for a DW?
Post # 4
I think 12 weeks for a Destination Wedding is good. I’ll be doing closer to 10 weeks (I think it will be best if guests receive the invites just after christmas and not just before)
Post # 5
For our Oct 22nd wedding I sent the invites in June. The resort needs the final count by Sept 15th, so that was 3 months.
Our guests were starting to ask questions about booking rooms and airfare, so we needed to get them out or they’d basically start to be unnecessary.
Post # 6
Oh, and PS I think only about 10% of our guests have actually paid attention to anything on our wedding website. So don’t count on everyone getting the info from that.
I’ve put flight info, when we’re getting there, how to reserve rooms, etc on the website, invites, and 2 emails and still get email from out guests 🙂 No biggie, but just for your planning!
Post # 7
why does your venue need the headcount more than 30 days in advance? i agree with 8-12 weeks out, but give your guests at least 2 weeks to respond.
Post # 8
Since all of our guests had to book their cruise, flights, and hotel, we sent ours our about 5 months in advance. And we even had trouble with people getting back to us on time. I think people need time to make these decisions and budget themselves properly.
I think you know your guests better than anyone else and should make your decsion based on what you think will work best for them. i fell every situation is different and shouldn’t be decided based on “rules”
Hope this helps! Best of luck!
Post # 9
We are sending our invites 8 month ahead but because for certian reasons
- I’m back to my home town next month and it make sense to hand deliver them instead of sending each one..
- half of the people our out of towners and need to book off time and save money…
- we never send out save the dates
- plus I need to know how many people I’m feeding and what not being I’m planning it all and while i want to know as soon as possible…
I know it early but ya I have my reason and my family and friends dont mind.. they some what like it being they feel like they’re somewhat in the dark on what happening being of the distance… I think the rule is like 4-2 months before… but ya i dont follow rules lol
Post # 10
Thanks for all the input! Ive decided to send them out in 2 weeks, about 4 1/2 mos before the wedding. That will give guests about 2 months to reply (check flights, etc), then give me about a month to make all the final details before turning over the head count.
@zaylee- I have no idea why they need the head count so early! Maybe due to Xmas/New Years falling right around the 30 day prior mark?
@Miss Starry – I know what you mean about the wedding website, mine has been up for 4 to 5 months, address on the STD and facebook…. but people still ask me every little detail! I think my answer is just gonna be “Please see website!” =)
Post # 11
Our wedding was at the end of August. STD’s went out in February along with all hotel/travel info. Actual invites went out at the end of May with RSVP deadline of end of June. Our venue actually didn’t need the final headcount until 2 weeks before but I wanted some time to finalize other details.
Post # 12
I sent STD’s in July (10 months in advance), basically right when we knew the date and location. Every single person is coming from out of town and 90% will have to fly because its too far to drive.
I’m planning to send invites in early Feb (3.5 months in advance). I need final headcounts by April 15, so that gives them about 2 months to decide/budget/book. I feel like that should be plenty.
Though, even with 2 months to respond, I am sure there will still be stragglers…