How early is too early for a ring upgrade??

posted 8 months ago in Rings
Post # 16
8509 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: Dorset, UK

cbix :  If you are both happy with the plan to upgrade ahead of the wedding I say do it! 🙂 

Post # 17
852 posts
Busy bee

cbix :  I think if getting your dream ring is importent/inevitable, upgrade! I would just suggest being sure that what you can afford right now is something you truly will be happy with. Unless, upgrading to very few years is an expectation both you and your fiancé have! I think trading in your current ring makes perfect sense and also the fact that you purchased it should make this process guilt free. I totally understand wanting a big ring and see nothing wrong with that. You sound sensitive to the situation, but I bet your fiancé would also love to give you something more in line with your style now that he can afford it! Post pics when the time comes!

Post # 18
570 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2016 - Temecula, California

I would do it asap if you have the money and the two of you are okay with it!  PLUS, it would be the ring in your wedding photos which will be around forever! (I have regret when I see some of my ring pictures from my wedding because I wish it showed the wedding band I have now).

Can’t wait to see pictures!

Post # 19
5564 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: July 2018

I don’t know that I would say there is a “too early” however in your case I would question if you can truly afford it right now.  Just because you technically have the cash doesn’t mean it is a good idea.]

Your dream ring was affordable only 5 months ago, even with a change in your financial situation it just seems very soon to be spending that additional money on a ring. 

Post # 20
1887 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2019

I’m curious how money could be tight enough in October and now not a problem to trade in a ring (terrible trade in value) and add a carat. 

Personally, I’d save the money and upgrade in a couple of years. 1 carat is not tiny and that will give you some breathing room or an upgrade on the honeymoon. 

Plus, I’d hate to ask my uncle to lose a commission or 60% of the cost of a second ring in a year. 

Now if your money issues are over because because you won a multimillion jackpot, then go for the new ring now but offer your uncle full retail value as a gesture. He might not take it, but at least you’ll offer.

Post # 21
484 posts
Helper bee

bibliophilacticbee :  This is exactly what I was thinking. October was what, five months ago? What could have changed so drastically and permanently in that time that this now makes financial sense?

Post # 22
852 posts
Busy bee

catqueen92 :  Y’all, I have to comment because I can’t edit now- I know how to spell important, I promise embarassed

Post # 23
252 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2020 - City, State

Reasons to wait:

-you can’t afford to upgrade

-you don’t want to upgrade

Neither of these apply.

Post # 25
158 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2019

Go for it! That’s what we are doing too, I’m buying a ring for now and hes going to upgrade my ering for our next anniversary (which happens to be our 10 years as a couple) but it saves us some now and gives us time to decide what I want for sure

Post # 26
2568 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2017 - Courthouse

I think you being happy with your ring is important and if you get a chance to be happier with your ring and get a discount, why not?

Also, my mom had a close friend from college who had kind of a similar story. Her ring was fairly small because they were young and she wanted a blingy wedding band but they couldn’t afford it. Right before the wedding her almost groom secretly had her wedding band laid with baguette diamonds. It was a surprise at the altar at the wedding that he blinged out her band. My mom said everyone knew about it ahead of time and it was really sweet. So technically she got an upgrade before the wedding lol. 

Post # 27
2917 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2018

cbix :  I say do it! I got engaged last April, married in August and already looking to upgrade if it makes sense financially (waiting on quote). If you’re both on board with upgrading, and it won’t hurt you financially go for it!

Post # 28
477 posts
Helper bee

I just find it a little odd that you got engaged in October, and at the time he was tight with money, and now 4 months later money is abundant enough to double the size of your stone and pay for a wedding. 

But if money is truly not an issue, then I don’t see an issue if you are both on the same page. 

Post # 29
484 posts
Helper bee

Just graduated college?  Then I’d say a ring upgrade from 1 to 2 carats isn’t really a priority, unlike getting established and starting to plan financially for the future.  Maybe he has the money right now, but do you want to buy a house in the future and start a family?  Spending money as soon as you get it is one way to go broke because you don’t have enough saved for emergencies and unexpected expenses like health care.  One car accident on those snowy roads can bankrupt you if you don’t have a cushion.

So, if you have a financial cushion, go ahead an upgrade.  But if you are dependent on seasonal work and it is feast or famine, you might wish you had that upgrade money when the snow plowing dries up in the spring.

Post # 30
1960 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2018

I dont get this whole ring upgrade thing. It’s not really a thing where I live and if you get an upgrade it’s years down the track.

I don’t be this your whole financial situation has changed so much in so little time.  I’d save it if I were you. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors