Post # 1
Hey my fellow waiting bees…
So, I was with my SO (of almost 8 years) and a few friends the other evening, and one of the friends, who is recently engaged, was telling us about a venue they were looking at. I said ‘oh that’s a good place, and their wedding packages are quite reasonable’. He asked me if I had a friend who worked there, and was surprised when I said that I know from doing research… he then smiled and said ‘oh really?’ to which I said, ‘yes both of us (me and SO) have been looking, but have settled on somewhere else. He gave my SO a glancing look, and my SO (good boy that he is) agreed that we had found somewhere special.
So this got me thinking… how far have you planned with your SO, and how much further on your own?
With my SO:
- Engagement ring is chosen only delay is still saving money. (although still deciding on Princess or Emerald cut for the centre – any preference you be appreciated )
- Venue is decided
- Menu – kind of is decided (we keep changing our minds)
- Drinks for toast (we’re both allergic to champagne so we’re having Mojitos!)
- First song is kind of decided (we found one that we love, but i’m sure another will come along!)
- Music/Band is decided
- Table theme is sorted
Without my SO:
- Dress is chosen (although last time I picked one (3 years ago) it has now been discontinued as he’s taken so long to propose! :))
- Good idea for shoes
- Flowers and theme are on their way…
- Wedding car (I’d love to have my horse there but I don’t think my SO would be happy!)
I’d love to hear what you have been planning together with your SO and without your SO’s knowledge 🙂
Em x x
Post # 3
Hi Em welcome to the boards!
I haven’t really planned anything for the wedding, but SO has recently given me full blessing (and a good nudge) to start it, even though we are not engaged yet.
This looks like fun though!
With my SO:
- Engagement ring is chosen (together) and a deposit was put on it (while I was there with him in the store)
- Decided what kind of wedding we want (Church/then quaint village hall reception)
- Later on in the day service, then straight on to the reception, rather than a whole day
- Decided roughly how many guests we want (about 100 ish)
- Keep costs down by having a buffet or easy to do meal courses, like a soup for starter, pig roast for main
- Who will make the cake (his friend)
- Who will be our bridesmaids/best men
- Where he will have his stag do (he wants to do a cycling tour!)
- We have already decided his kit car will be the wedding car
- Where to get the flowers from (his friends a florist)
- Who to go to for catering (his parents neighbour)
- We want a live band (another friend of his)
Without my SO:
- Colours are chosen
- What style of dress I would like to look at/try on when the time comes
- Ideas for bridesmaid dresses
- The budget (I think SO thinks it will be 4x as much as I think I can plan it all for!)
So thats me! Hopefully I can full on start planning soon!
Post # 4
@spaneshal – wow that sounds so exciting! And a deposit on a ring – Woohoo – you lucky lady! Glad to hear that someone else has planned quite a bit with their SO – I was starting to think I was the only one.
Post # 5
– Custom ring was a fail, waiting for quote from new jeweler we went to visit. Going to see the ring again on Wednesday and get our quote on Friday (fingers crossed).
– Almost decided on our wedding bands.
– Picked a month, told the parents
– We’re probably going to have a reception at a restaurant. We aren’t big on the traditional “flair” of weddings.
That’s about it. I haven’t done anything on my own. He’s the one with all the work connections that will be able to hook us up when the time comes so I’m not worrying about planning till I have to. And even then, he’ll probably be doing his fair share because of his connections.
Post # 6
My SO and I have talked about getting engaged/married and I have already declared our first dance song. He knows I have tried some rings on and he tried to get me to go with him (that’s another story) but he doesn’t know what I want yet. Unless he has found my secret folder
What he doesn’t know is..that I tried on my dream dress maybe a month or so ago and actually purchased a preowned one off ebay today (I know I’m terrible), but it was $900 (retail about 1800 without a bustle) and the exact size I wanted. The worst that could happen is that I have to resell it. I have semi researched venues and reception favors and such. Nothing too definite since we kinda need to have a date.
Post # 7
Hehe good topic!
My SO is in the army and has been away for a few months. I’m like 90% sure a proposal is coming when he gets home… finger’s crossed!!
We have both planned that we will get married out of town, but that’s about the extent of it.
Me, of course, I have planned the exact venue, my dress, decorations, bridesmaids already know who they are, have a family friend who is a florist who has already offered to do our flowers… hehe. I feel so cheeky. SO is going to be so amused when he proposes and then realises his wedding is pretty much already planned!