(Closed) How far would you commute for an extra $9000 in salary?

posted 7 years ago in Career
Post # 3
5977 posts
Bee Keeper

I’d do it. But I also currently commute for an hour and fifteen minutes every day for work. Been doing it for the last 3 years…and for the previous 7 before that, it was 45 minutes. 

Post # 4
2183 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2011 - Florida Aquarium

Both Darling Husband and I have hour long commutes… mine is 45 minutes sometimes, but his can be up to two hours, with traffic. We think it’s worth it.

Post # 5
13249 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I personally wouldn’t, because that extra $9,000 (before tax, so more like $6,000 after) is going straight to the extra gas and the wear and tear on your car.

However, I’m lazy and don’t even like my 3 mile commute, so I may not have the best opinion to take.

Congrats on all your job offers!  That’s a feat in and of itself!

Post # 6
5797 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2011

My commute is terrible so 45 minutes seems worth 9k to me

Post # 6
1212 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Yeah, I’d do it too. A commute like that can actually be kind of nice. When I was commuting, I found the drive to give me a nice buffer zone around the job.

Post # 7
14661 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

45 minutes sounds like a normal commute to me.  I’d do it for 9k.

Post # 8
646 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I currently commute 45 minutes for an unpaid internship (that I love). So…. yes. I’d do it for $1k. Maybe $100. HAHA.

Post # 9
2216 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I don’t consider 45 minutes a long commute, so yes, I think its worth it.

Post # 10
Hostess
16196 posts
Honey Beekeeper

I also think it’s worth it because relative to my experience, 45 minutes seems like a pretty standard commute, and I’m sure you have many good uses for the extra money each year.

Post # 10
2825 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I would probably travel up to an hour for that much… If it were any longer it wouldn’t be worth my time/gas…

But 45 minutes isn’t really that bad, if it’s a job you would enjoy then I would say take it!

Post # 12
913 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

Totally agree with abbie017. 35 miles each way is 18,000 miles a year. At 55 cents a mile (IRS mileage) you are actually losing money (depending on your current commute of course) and that’s not accounting for your lost free time.

Post # 13
13096 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

I don’t know that I would (unless the other options don’t work out).  I used to have a 55 minute commute and HATED it.

Plus, as a PP said, that extra $9,000 (before tax, so more like $6,000 after) is going to go straight to the extra gas and the wear and tear on your car.

Post # 14
389 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

My commute is 45 mins on a good day. It ruins my life and I feel like I don’t have enough time in the day to enjoy life on workdays. I feel like 1.5-2 hrs of each day are wasted. I already work 9-hr days, so on many days it is like working 11 hours. You should add commute time in and calculate how much you will be getting paid per hour to compare the jobs you are thinking about. So I am obviously advising you not to take the job if you think your commute might be a problem for you.

The topic ‘How far would you commute for an extra $9000 in salary?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors