(Closed) How late would you be willing to have your last child?

posted 8 years ago in TTC
  • poll: What is the oldest you would be okay with when having your last child?
    Under 30 : (21 votes)
    4 %
    31 : (19 votes)
    4 %
    32 : (28 votes)
    6 %
    33 : (16 votes)
    3 %
    34 : (19 votes)
    4 %
    35 : (131 votes)
    28 %
    36 : (49 votes)
    10 %
    37 : (32 votes)
    7 %
    38 : (41 votes)
    9 %
  • Post # 32
    2292 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

I want to be finished having children by the time I am thirty. Since I am currently 24 and I will only have two at the most, I don’t think that is unreasonable.

Post # 33
    635 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

I am having my first at 24. I plan to have the second at 27 and the third (last) at 30. Of course you can’t plan everything, but I would like to be done with having kids by the time I am 32.

Post # 34
    427 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2011

I wanted to be done with children by 30, but we’ll both be 27 this year and we still aren’t pregnant. Soooo, I’m not so sure that will work out, hah.

Post # 35
    2737 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 2014

Absolutely into my 40s if necessary! Why not? We’ll start around 30 and see where things go from there, but I have absolutely no problem with being and “older mom.” Mother-In-Law had 3 kids between 30 and 38, and I think that’s perfect.

Post # 36
    2935 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: July 2015

I hope to be done by 34! I want to have my first baby like 26 or 27 🙂

Post # 37
    645 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

When I was a teenager I thought I’d never want a child after 30. Now I’m thinking we’ll have our first at 27/28 and our second at 30/31. I’m still unlikely to try after 32/33.

Post # 38
    3345 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

I wouldn’t have my first until I am at least 31 (If everything goes great).  I would love to be done at 35, but I’ll give myself a few more years if needed.  

Post # 39
    3949 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

My mom was 45 when she had my younger brother and 42 when she had me.  She got to be a Stay-At-Home Mom with us two, which she did not with the older three.  She passed away before us two got married, however one of my friends mom died when we were elementary school at 30, and a few other parents died when we were young, their parents were young but my parents were still around and were old.  My Dad’s gotten to see his great grand children, he plays soccer and still works and he’s in his 70s, we kept him young 😀 

Post # 40
    492 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

I’m just starting out of the gate at 30, so it depends a lot on what having kids is like and how many we go for! Also, the older a woman gets, the higher the chance of fraternal twins, which is efficient yet terrifying. 

Post # 41
    4556 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2016

I want 4 and I would also like to be done by 35-36. Hopefully I’ll get married right before I’m 24, then maybe have kids 27,29,33,35! I told my bestfriend this and she told me that I was crazy and my kids would call me grandma…. Um, no they wont. Well see how it works out lol

Post # 42
    6397 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: April 2014

Probably 35. Fiance is hoping to be done by the time he’s 30 (I’ll be 31,) but I’m already turning 25 and we want 3 kids, so it’ll probably be longer than that. Plus we want to adopt at least once, and I know that can take years.

Post # 44
    409 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

So curious as to why this topic is posted about so often. Like every other week, weird. Women can safely conceive,  carry and raise a child from their teens until their 40s. To each their own, vive la difference, who bloody cares.

What surprises me is how many women who haven’t ever even been pregnant are already so concerned with being “free” of their children while still young enough to enjoy their freedom. I just don’t get it, I’m a new mom and can guarantee that after watching how quickly DD went from BFP to bump to infant to toddler, I will never rush her out of my home so I can enjoy my life without her. I just dont get this attitude,  it totally confuses me.

Like you are not even pregnant yet and already concerned about your enjoyment of life and how a child will interfere with that. To me, its such a selfish, first-world concern.

And btw, yes I work full-time and have a great carreer. I look forward to retirement but never have I looked forward to DD leaving home (she’s 14 months, no rush…lol)

Post # 45
    2037 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

I’m concerned about dying on a child before they reach 30. I would want them to be settled in life as an adult before having to deal with an ill and dying parent.  Granted, I could be hit by a bus at any time, but knowing my personal lifestyle and genetic risks, I really worry about having children in my late 30’s. I voted 38, but honestly, that’s pushing it to me.

This whole thought process is a factor in my not-quite-set-in-concrete decision to not have babies.

Post # 46
    5191 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

@MaggieF:  I completely agree with you! DS is 15 and the years have flown by. Each year passes more quickly than the last. And here I am, in my 30s, not ready for it to be over so soon. I want to do it all over again. Sometimes I just want to say “Just you wait and see. You’ll change your mind once you are actually facing the reality of the situation.” But I know that doesn’t go over well on the Bee, so I keep it to myself. 🙂

The topic ‘How late would you be willing to have your last child?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors