(Closed) How long did it take to housebreak 100%

posted 6 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
14403 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

We brough him home at 8 weeks, and he was pretty house trained within a month.  He’s had maybe 2 or 3 accidents since then and he’s 6 months old now and sits at the door and lets out a little whine to let us know he’s there.  Did you crate train at the beginning?  Do you ever catch her in the act or find out after?  We did not let him out of our sight until he was trained so when he started to go, we always caught him, scream our head off and let him know we werent happy about it as we picked him up and put him outside. 

Post # 6
484 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Try a bell on the door – and I swear by clicker training. Our dog was like that and she will now make a mistake about once per month if that now. Start out with a clicker and click it and immediately treat for a couple days. After she associates the clicker with a treat – go outside with her and watch her like a hawk when she potties – IMMEDIATELY after her pee/poo is done – click and treat her saying a key word like “good potty”! Our dog got the hang of it quickly and we’ve had very little problems since!!! Good luck!

Post # 7
2815 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

It took us about 2 months for our dog to be 100%.  My mom had a dog that did the bell on the door and it worked wonders.  She used one of those Christmas bells on the door.  The only bad thing is that the dog would ring it just because he wanted to go outside and play.  

Post # 8
485 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

@BoiledPNut:  This is what my dog has learned as well! She’s 5 months, and not fully housetrained… But BOY has she learned that bells=outside (even if she just wants to play!).

@Ms.Dachshund:  I can only commiserate. No tips thus far– my puppy is a little younger than yours & we are still working on it. When she’s busy, she forgets (or doesn’t realize) she needs to go outside. I think she’s getting it though, because when she does have an accident and realizes we saw her, she runs away. She knows it’s bad! We have been doing the bells, though, which will at least alert you she’s there if you don’t see her!

Post # 9
2416 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

My dog is 4 and he still has the occassional accident in the house…mostly #2 and mostly if its very urgent and we don’t pick up on his “signs” that he needs to go out. He also had a tendancy to pee on bath mats, which as far as I can tell is because we pee-pad trained him (which I would never do again)

Post # 10
439 posts
Helper bee

I think my Schnoodle was about 2 years old when she stopped having accidents all together. She knew she was suppose to go outside, but I think it was just when she had to go really bad. And maybe because she was still young she didn’t have good bladder control like she does now?

My chihuaha is 7 months old, we got her about 2 months ago from someone that had her since she was 8 weeks. The first 2 weeks she was terrible, but I think because she wasn’t use to being in an apartment. She rarely has accidents now, but does pee in her crate over night. She’s still young so I hope she will grow out of that. She also never cries or goes to the door when she needs to pee. I wish she would do something to let us know she needs to go!

Post # 11
1423 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

I wouldn’t worry — it sounds like you’re doing everything right and she knows what she is supposed to do.  Going to the door is excellent — she gets it!  It just sounds like she has a hard time holding it.  It will come with time.  Her bladder is probably still growing, and she’s still learning how to use and strengthening those muscles.  It took awhile with my dog, too.  He would run in a circle then just go if we couldn’t get him out right away.  Gradually he got better at holding it.  I think he was about 10 months when he no longer had accidents (other than when he’s reaaalllly excited!).

Post # 12
76 posts
Worker bee

Each dog is different, but 6 months sounds kind of old to still be having regular accidents. Our dog was trained within about a month and we also did the bell method (jingle bell tied to the doorknob). Have you noticed any other triggers for the accidents? I ask because a few years ago I lived with a roommate that had a golden retriever puppy. She was totally house broken, but would pee inside for attention. A couple of times I shut her out of my room only to find a puddle a few minutes later. We had a glass door to the living room and once shut her out of there only to have her immediately pee right outside the door. She knew better, but it was her way of getting attention even if it was scolding. My other other idea is that it could be food/diet related does she have accidents right after eating certain things?

Post # 14
3375 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Is your dog fixed? I always find that my dogs had small accidents before being fixed, but afterwards it got a lot better.

My dog is only interested in going outside to go pee. She can’t wait to drag me back inside right after. I think in the beginning you have to teach them that outside is no fun and it’s just for potty.

Post # 16
2607 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

Coonhounds are one of those breeds that are frequently more difficult to housebreak.  One accident a week at only six months old is pretty good, especially for a Coonhound.  Keep doing what you’re doing…the bell might help her learn to “tell” you she needs to go out.  

Also, some dogs have different “tells”…I read about a lady who finally realized her dog was telling her he needed to go out by bringing her her shoes!  Once she figured that out, the accidents stopped.  So keep your eye on her for things that seem to trigger the accidents, or odd ways she may be trying to tell you she needs to go.

The topic ‘How long did it take to housebreak 100%’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors