Post # 1
We are meeting with a calligrapher in two weeks due to her availability but we are meeting with another two calligraphers about 3 weeks after that. If we end up loving the first one, how long is acceptable to give her a response that we would like to work with her? With the rest of our vendors we only met with a couple or one vendor for each area within short periods of time so I’m not sure what the right thing to do is here. My fiancé got a little irked that we kept only meeting with one person and booking (only because I changed my mind on one and we almost lost the deposit) so it was his request to meet with multiple vendors for our remaining vendors.
Post # 2
Just be upfront with the first one and say you will take a couple of weeks to finalize and ask her about how booked she is currently. If she’s got plenty of time to do your work in the time you need it, no sweat in taking a little extra time to lock her down. I’m sure she’ll understand and I bet you’re not the first to take your time.
Post # 3
drabbee : These are business people, so this is not like an RSVP. Bottom line, it’s too long if she books one too many clients with the same deadline. That’s always the risk you take by waiting. But there’s nothing insulting exploring options. You could be waiting to book for any number of reasons.
Post # 4
Unless she is specifically holding her schedule open for you until you book, you don’t have a specified time to respond – you just don’t have a guarantee she will still be able to fit you in as a client by the time you are finally ready to book her. Without a deposit, she is free to take on other clients as her schedule accommodates and you’re free to go back to her at any point and put down money if she is still available. If she’s not still available by the time you’re ready to make a choice, you move on to your second pick.
If it seems like she is holding something open for you such that she’ll potentially lose out on business because she was committing that timeframe to you, then ask her how long she will hold your spot and/or just be upfront and say thank you for her time and you have a few other vendors to meet with in a few weeks before booking a vendor.