(Closed) How long were you together before he popped the question?

posted 9 years ago in Proposals
  • poll: How long before he finally did it???
    1-6 mths : (28 votes)
    5 %
    6-12 mths : (40 votes)
    7 %
    1 year : (50 votes)
    9 %
    2 years : (99 votes)
    18 %
    3 years : (95 votes)
    18 %
    4 years : (68 votes)
    13 %
    5 years : (50 votes)
    9 %
    6 years : (23 votes)
    4 %
    7 years : (21 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 107
    172 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

We were talking marriage within months of being together, but due to some unforseen and unfortunate financial issues the engagement took longer than expected! He proposed 2 days before our 3 year anniversary and we will be married 9 days before our 4th!

Post # 108
    57 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

we were together and knew each other 4 and a half months when he popped the question.  He had bought a ring that I didnt know about after 3 weeks.  It was just an instant connection.

Post # 109
    684 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2012

He told his friends he was going to marry me the day we met in freshers week at university. We spent 6 years being poor students as girlfriend and boyfriend. He was going to wait until he could afford the diamond ring he imagined for me until one day I mentioned that I really don’t care about engagement traditions. He proposed 2 days later with some amazing shoes i’d seen but didn’t want to spend money on myself. I collect fancy and unusual shoes. 

He bought my engagement ring a year later. Its a heavy platinum hand made setting and a 1ct Moissanite. We saw a ring like mine but with probably half the platinum for £10,000 in the jewelers on the high street. I’m glad he didn’t end up wasting enough to pay for our entire wedding on a stone I wasn’t fussed about. 

I LOVE moissanites story. I was neutral on Diamonds before but now I almost actively dislike them, I blame them. 

Post # 110
    333 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

7.5 years

Post # 111
    1546 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

1 yr 2 months, proposed on Christmas

Post # 112
    72 posts
    Worker bee

Still waiting…we’ve been together for 2 1/2 years and his deadline is by year 5. 😉 Lately, he’s been all about saving money and planning for our future together. We started looking at rings online. So hopefully by year 3.

Post # 113
    856 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

He asked about 2 months shy of our second anniversary.

Post # 114
    13 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: June 2012

2.5 years!

But before that, we had been best friends for over a decade.

Post # 115
    187 posts
    Blushing bee

6.5 years – I met him when I was 18 though – he was 19 at the time.. now I’m 25 and he is 26! we definitely didnt want to get married too soon and well even now we’re still the first couple to get married out of all our friends!

Post # 116
    47 posts
    Newbee

Wow, we have a nearly perfect bell curve centered right around the 2-3 year mark. Cool! Although that makes me a bit sad because I don’t want to wait that long!

Post # 117
    1181 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

One year and a half.  We had a gap in the relationship, though.  We had broken up for a year (long story!) before we came back for the 1.5 years. 

Post # 118
    12 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: August 2013

2 days after our 4th anniversary

Post # 119
    444 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

Started talking online August 13, 2010, and he proposed November 26, 2011. So 15 months (I voted wrong; oops)! 

Post # 120
    2560 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

Should be by 5th anniversary, though if I hadn’t talked to him about it (why it was important to me and why we shouldn’t be waiting any longer), it probably would have been closer to 6 years. Probably won’t get married until around our 7th anniversary.

Post # 121
    741 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

Right after our 2 year anniversary, and we will be married about 5-6 months after our 3 year. 2-3 years seems to be the average for couples who meet in their mid twenties (as we did), longer for couples who met younger and shorter for older couples. But when you know, you know!

The topic ‘How long were you together before he popped the question?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors