how many & how long have you been hiding tattoos from your parents! ?

posted 7 years ago in Beauty
Post # 4
460 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

I am not hiding my tattoos any more, but when I was 16 my mom let me get a tatto that we didn’t tell my dad about, and one day he came in my room while I was sleeping, saw it and woke me up screaming… I was grounded for weeks… Then I got one more that he didn’t know about.

Future Mother-In-Law likes the tattoos I came with, but I got a new on recently and she flipped a little.

Post # 6
1361 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

@Miss Mitzie: “the tattoos I came with” Haha πŸ˜‰ Like a toy or something…that’s just the way it comes, no returns!

No tattoos yet.  I know my parents wouldn’t be ecstatic about it, but I’d show my sister, who would inevitably tell them! 

Post # 7
184 posts
Blushing bee

I’ve had a tattoo for about 6 or 7 years and my parents don’t know.  My mom is a little crazy so I know she’d flip.  Also, in highschool, I hid my belly button piercing.  I told my mom I wanted to get it done and she went nuts.  They never found out though lol.

Post # 9
188 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

i got a tattoo of a shamrock on my hip when i was 21… i am 26 now and my parents still have no idea, im not sure how my mom will react now since i am older, but i don’t really want to find out unless i have to πŸ™‚

Post # 10
3004 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2010

@juliacatherine: I remember when I pierced my cartilage one summer when I was living with my aunt and uncle. I came home to visit my parents for the weekend and you would think they thought I was satanic. They screamed at me and whined saying I had no right blah blah blah. It was crazy. I eventually took it out because it kept getting infected but they totally overreacted. 

Post # 12
756 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I’ve hiddden each one from my mom (and anyone who might tell her about it) for at least a year after getting it. I’m an adult, and her opinion would never stop me from getting one, but she *hates* tattoos, and I just don’t want to listen to her lecture me every time about how I’m going to regret this in 20 years.

I do have one I’ve successfully hidden for two and half years. It’s actually the only one I now see as a poor choice and would like to change it or get it removed. I’m hoping to avoid her seeing it until I can do something about it.

She definitely blows it out of proportion — after my third, she actually used the phrase “don’t go down that road.” As if tattoos automatically make someone a bad person.

Post # 13
941 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

First of all, juliacatherine you have an awesome ring.  It’s very unique, I’ve never seen a design like that.  So, just wanted to say that.

I have two tattoos, nothing major, seemingly easy to hide.  The second I managed to hide from my dad for about 6 months?  My mom didn’t care so I showed her right away.  The first one though was a testament to my inability to feel comfortable lying or be creative enough to make something up.  

My first tattoo I got the summer after high school, after having been with my now fiance in his home state for a month (all kinds of fun firsts.  My parents were nice and trusting).  So, I got a tattoo on my ankle, and it was August so it was hot.  And the day after I got home, I tried covering it by wearing socks, which looked suspcious because it was August, and I wore flip flops all the way through November.  I tried making up some lame excuse, which didn’t work….then they saw the top of the tattoo (which is turquoise, not a natural bodily color), and when they asked what it was, I said it was a scab.  So, shockingly they didn’t believe me, and I told them.  So, that was hidden for like, all of an hour?  (Well at least an hour in their presence).

Luckily that was my first “rebellious” act so not too much anger was had.  My sister got her first tattoo last year, also around the same age as me, and managed to hide it for a few weeks?  But then she wasn’t so wise and wore a tank top (it’s on her back).  Apparently my dad didn’t talk to her for the rest of the day.  

Post # 14
141 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I have 4 tattoos, and my family knows about 3 of them. The first one I got when I was 19, and my mom still had access to my bank account. I thought I was being savvy by taking out money in chunks for the tattoo…but she still noticed :p The second one was a giant paragraph of text on my upper back, and by then my parents had gotten used to them, although they weren’t happy about it. I did continue to hide them from my grandma for a couple years, until a miscommunication between myself and my mom made me think mom had told her bout them….so I went downstairs with a v-back shirt on….and hear “what the hell is that?!” Luckily, my grandma is pretty awesome, and told me she loved me no matter what πŸ™‚

My mom decided to be a bit of a brat about my latest one, which is a large lotus flower on my calf…she had seen it last Xmas (2009), but made a HUGE stink about it at my graduation this December, insisting she had never seen it. Whatevs!

As for the one they don’t know about, it’s the one drunken/stupid one I have, and luckily it’s in a very non-visible place: my side up under my boob. It’s a latin phrase and it wasn’t done well, so it’s blurring. I didn’t feel it was necessary to show it to anyone outside the friend circle πŸ˜€

Oddly enough, my dad reacted much more strongly to my having pierced my nose than when I got tattoos. He insisted it made me look ridiculous (hell no! I looked cute!) and that it was hurting my job choices. He got his way though, when the damn thing wouldn’t heal up! ^_^

Post # 15
1251 posts
Bumble bee

My parents know about both of my tattoos, as they are on my feet, and I am almost always barefoot. 

But my boy has a very large A Perfect Circle tattoo on his upper arm that neither of his parents know about, and he is 27, and has had the tattoo since he was 18! It amazes me that they don’t know. He also secretly had his nipples pierced when he was 17, and his parents found out because he played baseball in college and slid headfirst and one of them got ripped out! 

Post # 16
96 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I don’t have any, but my cousin has 5 – one on her stomach, one on her shoulder, one on each wrist & more. But her parents have no idea – she wears long sleeves every day even in the summer so they won’t find out!

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors