Post # 1
I was curious how many brides other than me have rescheduled your wedding and why? Did you lose any fee’s paid out already?
I have recsheduled mine three times now. The first date was set for May 2015 the second at September 2015 and it is now June 2016.
Why?? I couldnt decide on anything. I would choose one location then another, one dress then another. The guest list was irritating and I hated trying to accomidate everyone.
I lost deposits on venues and have purchased and sold three, yes THREE dresses. They just wouldnt work with the different times of year and venue types.
My solution: Screw wedding planning, large guest list, expensive caterers and decorations.
We decided to do what we wanted which was focus on US. We are having a destination weddingmoon in Dominican Republic. We will have close family and a few friends. The best part, It’s all inclusive. The venue, wedding, fees, food, drinks. EVERYTHING! We only pay additional for upgrades which I have set a limited budget for. And guess what? Its all under our original budget we set in the beginning of wedding planning. All I have to do now is find the dress, send out STD to a select few with accomindiation info and start planning what were going to do when we get there. RELAX!!! is what im going to do. Sorry if this is a bit long but you get the idea. Any typos? Just ignore those. 🙂
Post # 2
We had planned for the 27th of august 2016 (our year 7 mark) BUT his mom pointed out that most people have stated work then (like me as a teacher we start around the second week fo august) so, she suggested early July 9th of July 2016, but then we either have to send out STD or early invites so people can plan ther vaccations. (so we will send then out for christmas.)
I personally wanted a small wedding tops 10 guest and then a nice lunch, but he wanted a party so now we are at 60(!) people and we have a great vernue. We did not lose any money as our venue will send a bill after the wedding. So we only have to pay for things for ther cermony until then.
I did have to rethink me dresses I had bought a few online (4-5) but i found one I really liked from a secondhad online chat room. Cost me 70 $, but I will need to do alterantions. Not sure of the cost but maybe 120$.
Post # 3
We have had three different dates and plans.
1. Memorial Day weekend of 2016 – so we could have a larger wedding (80 people) on a Sunday without people having to go to work the next day. We didn’t book a venue although we chose one, because we realized it would still be difficult to afford it even after cutting a lot of things we wanted.
2. May 14th of 2016 – we downsized to a 30 person wedding and changed towns. Our non traditional venues (park, restaurant) didn’t charge less for a Sunday, so we went with the date we originally wanted. However, a lot of family drama blew up and planning became a nightmare.
3. Our current plan in the works for later in the summer of 2016 – a just-us weddingmoon in Europe! We got tired of trying to deal with crazy family and insane demands, and realized we would rather spend our money on something for us rather than something everyone would just bitch about. I’m pretty excited!
Edit: oh, and we haven’t lost any money thankfully. We didn’t book anything with the first plan, the restaurant deposit is refundable from the second plan, and I’ve keep the same dress throughout.
Post # 4
1. Memorial Day weekend of 2015. Fiance bought my ring memorial day weekend of 2014 and we thought, ok a year from now because he didn’t believe in engagements longer than a year and we needed the most time to plan/budget/save. That date went away as it took him over three months plan his proposal and I was refusing to make solid wedding plans until we were actually engaged. So we didn’t lose money or anything just time.
2. September-ish of 2015. We were officially engaged September of 2014 and again had the same thoughts about the one year mark. Like PP most of Fiance friends are teachers (he was an education major) along with his mom, his sister is in med school and there are A LOT of kids on my side of the family so it didn’t feel like it’d work to invite the parents (who’s going to watch the kids?) or even to invite whole families when they (and us, we have 3) were just getting into the back to school swing of things. Again we didn’t book anything so we only lost time.
3. December 2015. With this date we’d officially passed the ‘one year’ timeline Fiance wanted so we compromised and went with a date he loved- NYE. This meant cutting our guest list waaaaaaaaay down as my family lives in a snow belt and just couldn’t be expected to make a winter wedding. This also cut our dream honeymoon out, or at least pushed it back six months because he wants to visit Napa or Turkey, our final two choices, in the winter? We settled on an intimate wedding of about 50 and a staycation. Found a venue, diy’d save the dates, got entirely into planning until about a week or two ago when it was time to send out Save-The-Date Cards and I started having doubts. To put it as simply as possible we were about to spend a lot of money on a shell of our original dream. So we’ve all but officially canceled that plan. We will lose some money if we go through with canceling some contracts and I’m still in the process of finding out just how much (wont be more than about 1500 though)
4. Plan currently in production…. courthouse just the two of us next week. Possibly a blessing ceremony next summer on our one year anniversary.
Post # 5
To be honest, the fiance and I are completely in the same boat you were in. We have technically not rescheduled anything, but our hearts have definitely had moments of doubt about having a wedding due to cost and what we are affording is not our dream wedding. We have decided to put our foot down on completing a tradtional wedding, and are doing our best in having a positive mindset!
I’m glad you were able to pin what you wanted, stick through it, and attain it! All the power to ya!