(Closed) How much are the pots & pans on your registry?

posted 10 years ago in Gifts and Registries
Post # 3
10 posts
Newbee

I am a big believer in quality and it just so happens that the "name brand", high quality cookware is expensive.  

Personally I think you’re fine but it might depend on what your guests are like- i.e., have you been to weddings of a cousin or something and seen guests buy expensive items off their registries? All families are different and I know personally both mine and my FI’s are very into cooking and entertaining. I am hoping they will understand the importance of quality pots and pans, china, etc! My mom has had the same Calphalon pots and pans for as long as I can remember, and she swears by them. I think it’s important to go with quality for cookware- if you cook, that is. I cook a ton, so I’m also doing Calphalon, Le Creuset, and All-Clad (a variety of each) and pieces range from $50-$250, and my 7 piece set of All-Clad is about $400. I think often FIL’s or parents buy those types of items, or family members go in on them together.

If it nears your wedding and you don’t see your items purchased, you could always change your cookware to more inexpensive items from Bed Bath and Beyond, right?

Post # 4
10 posts
Newbee

PS- Yes, I think it’s important that you choose less expensive items as well, for other things. I’ve been careful to only choose the “best” for things that I really care about. For day to day things I’m choosing items/brands that I would personally be able to afford if I was just out shopping and needed an item (i.e., ironing board, every day dishes, picture frames, etc).

Post # 5
1246 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

Our pots are Calphalon One and range from $50-$200 apiece. That being said, they’re the only items other than our knife block over $150 on our list, so we hope we get them.

Post # 6
141 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

If you really care about cooking, then the higher priced pans are absolutely worth it. We have a variety of All-Clad + Le Creuset on ours and our families aren’t upper class by any means. But I’m super serious about cooking and it’s important to me that I get the higher end stuff. We can go out and buy the lower end stuff ourselves and in a lot of cases, already have done so. I also have Shun knives on the registry, which are not cheap either. I don’t expect to get everything on the registry by any means, but we will most likely go out and buy what doesn’t get filled with registry completion items. 

I have, however, heard a number of stories from people who registered for high end cookware (the KitchenAid, All-Clad, etc) and they rarely use them. They registered for it because it was the "thing to do" when you’re getting married. If you or your future husband don’t spend a lot of time in the kitchen or when you do, it’s to make a box of cheese, you don’t need a $300 pan to do it 😛 I personally know someone who has a lovely bright red stand mixer that serves as nothing more than a decoration. In their case, they probably should have registered for really nice decor items since that’s their thing. Cooking is not. Think of what your values and interests are and register according to those. 

Post # 7
5822 posts
Bee Keeper

Even if none of your guests decide to purchase your prized pots (you have some good choices!) at least you’ll get a discount on the unpurchased items after your big day.  I say register for what you want, then add gift cards!

Post # 8
248 posts
Helper bee

A year ago (January 2008) Consumer Reports rated a variety of cookware. The Kirkland Signature brand (sold only at Costco) came out as the #1 cookware, well ahead of the “brand names”. I have never used it or All-Clad, but it might be worth checking out. The magazine says it’s $200 for a 14-piece set.

Post # 9
31 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2009

MissBK – I don’t know if I’ll be as much help, but I’m having the same dilemma as you are.  I registered for AllClad pans at Macy’s and am concerned about them being too expensive, but I feel like this is the ONE time we will invest in good cookware.  I’ve tried to mix it up a lot and created a Crate and Barrel registry where we have lots of cheaper items, so I’m hoping they will balance each other out.  Good luck!

Post # 10
57 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

What a timely post – I’ve been discussing pots and pans for the last five days.  I added the All Clad 10 piece set from BBB its $629.  And my sister (MOH) flipped out that ‘it was so expensive and I might want to put something cheaper on there if I want to get it’.  I expected that reaction from her, but luckily everyone else seems to understand that I am a serious cook and would like a good set of pots and pans.   I mean, I’ve never bought pots and pans for myself—they are all hand me downs!  The irony is that my sister can actually afford to get me those pans herself, but she just doesn’t cook the way I do so I don’t think she understands.     The bottom line is that people will buy you what they can afford and a registry is a ‘wish list’ and you won’t get everyone on it….

thanks for letting me vent!

Post # 11
133 posts
Blushing bee

I did a lot of research and ultimately ended up choosing the Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel line. They are almost as good as All-Clad, but 30% less. I added each pot and pan separately and hopefully if enough people buy them, I can trade in the individual items for the 10 or 13 piece set.

When I was in grad school and had almost no disposable income, I actually skipped a friend’s wedding because I couldn’t afford anything on their registry– I felt like I wasn’t welcome if I couldn’t shell out $100 for a gift. In retrospect, I probably should have just gone off-registry and picked a nice $25 picture frame, the friend wouldn’t have cared. In any case, for that reason, I’m trying to be careful about not going overboard with too much expensive stuff. That said, I bought a $150 saute pan off of a friend’s registry last year as the one and only wedding present from me and my boyfriend. (I hope they didn’t think we were super-cheap; I did get her a separate shower gift as well.) I feel kind of guilty about putting such expensive items on my registry, but I will use these for a lifetime compared to cheap-o cookware that I will have to replace in a few years.

Registering is soooo stressful and brings up a lot of class issues. Will people think I’m a snob because I put a $200 pot? Will they look down on me because I don’t have any crystal vases or fine china? Good luck!

Post # 12
129 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

We registered for a $569 set of All Clad pots and pans, and some open stock All Clad pieces.

We need the aluminum bottom All-Clad to go with our new kitchen (and Electrolux induction cooktop)!

Post # 13
2030 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

If cost is an issue you might want to consider the Calphalon Tri-Ply stainless, which we got as wedding gifts. I am a frequent cook and we love, love, LOVE our pots and pans. We cook several times a week and have made foods from all around the world as well as some very complicated recipes, and never once had a problem with our pots and pans. They brown well and food doesn’t stick as long as you heat the pan well, put some oil in, and then add the food when the pan is hot.

Post # 15
286 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2007

I was a little worried about the cost as well but you never know.  One family bought the entire All-Clad collection for me as the bridal shower/part wedding gift!  If you want good cookware, put it on there.  No one’s forcing people to buy that particular item if it’s out of their budget.

Post # 16
398 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2009

We put calphalon (about $500 worth) on our registry as well.  We entertain frequently.  While it may be steep for one person, groups may buy it or if no one buys it at least we will get the discount later.

I say register for what you want just make sure you have a good price range on your items.

Good Luck!

The topic ‘How much are the pots & pans on your registry?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors