- 6 years ago
- Wedding: September 2016
I am planning to do a ton of DIY for my wedding, mostly because I think I can because I am very crafty, and because I know it will save money. However, my Maid/Matron of Honor kind of scoffed at how much I’m planning to do like it’s terribly unrealistic. I have eleven months until the wedding, although most of the DIY stuff will be within the last six months before it happens. Am I being unrealistic? This is the list of things I am DIYing:
– ‘Flowers’ – I will be making my own centrepieces, other decor, boutonnieres, bouquets, corsages, etc. myself by propogating succulent cuttings, and then adding real touch flowers in the final weeks before the wedding. The centrepieces (which will double as aisle decor) will be basically succulent wreaths with a lantern in the middle. Fiance and I will be doing all of the arrangements, but keeping most of them alive will be my mum’s job since she has the space and green thumb for it. I’m doing this because I love the look of succulents, but don’t want to pay the outrageous fees to have a florist do them. Also, I actually think it will be pretty easy to make and I love the idea of having flowers that will keep growing after the wedding.
– Ceremony Backdrop – My dad will be constructing and painting a frame for my backdrop out of PVC, and then Mum and I will be decorating it with tulle and faux bay leaf garlands. It will look something like this:
– Veil – I will be making my own double layered french net and tulle birdcage veil.
– Back necklace thing – The consultant at the bridal store added a back necklace to my dress and I loved the look. However, it only came with silver tone which totally clashed with my gold dress. I looked at it more closely and it’s really only three strands of crystal beads with metallic spacers on a fishing line, along with some contraption to attach it to the dress. I will be making my own with the right colours and using clothing hooks and eyes (eyes attached to the dress by my seamstress, hooks on the jewellery piece) for this.
– Marquee letters – I bought white marquee letters in our names and will be painting them gold.
– Invites and other stationery – These will be done via Vistaprint and I don’t anticipate them being much work at all.
There will probably be a few more things as we get closer to the day, but that’s pretty much the scope of my DIY aspirations. Please tell me if I’m crazy, and how much DIY you did/are doing. I’d like to know if I need to be just buying some of these things before it’s too late!