(Closed) How much did you spend on a photographer and why? Poll included!

posted 10 years ago in Photos/Videos
  • poll: How much did you spend on your photography?
    0-500 : (8 votes)
    5 %
    500-1,000 : (10 votes)
    7 %
    1,000-2,000 : (47 votes)
    31 %
    2,000-3,000 : (37 votes)
    25 %
    3,000-4,000 : (21 votes)
    14 %
    4,000-5,000 : (14 votes)
    9 %
    5,000-6,000 : (11 votes)
    7 %
    6,000-7,000 : (1 votes)
    1 %
    7,000-8,000 : (1 votes)
    1 %
  • Post # 17
    2312 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

We’re spending $1050. We get 7 hours, a CD of all edited images, and rights to the images. She’s out of Atlanta so we’ll have to book her a hotel room, but there’s no other travel fees, so with the hotel room I suppose it’ll be right around $1300. She was recommended to me by a friend from high school who’s in the Junior League with her in Atlanta.

Post # 18
    747 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

$1300. she’s a friend from back in high school. she’ll be bringing a second shooter and will be with us all day. we are just getting the images from her, not prints or albums, we’ll order those. seems like most of my mom’s friends have paid around 3k for their daughters’ photography.

Post # 19
    806 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

We paid $2500 for a mini engagement shoot, 6 hours on the day of, and a disc with printing rights (this was the most basic package she offered).

I think photography runs expensive in my area.  In researching photographers, I noticed that there were “pricing tiers” so to speak – I could have gotten a package for about $1800-2000, but the photographers in that price range did (IMO) cookie-cutter, slightly cheesy work.  In the next pricing tier up, which is where I landed, there were photographers who had some real artistic talent (but possibly newer to shooting weddings, maybe their main business was some other type of photography).  If you wanted a very well established wedding photographer with serious artistic chops, a starting package would be at least $4k.

Post # 20
    1126 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

We’re paying $2500, and we’re getting an engagement shoot, rehearsal dinner coverage, the full getting ready through end of reception on day of, and a CD with full rights.  It was important to have the CD so we could make our own albums and prints, and we didn’t want to be looking at the clock all day at our wedding.  Our photog was also on the venue’s “recommended” list, and we loved all his previous work that we saw.  He automatically brings a second shooter, so there are multiple angles in his work.  Having a photographer that was familiar with our venue and had great shots there was another piece of mind thing.  Finally, he was cool.  We’re going to be hanging out with him all. day. long, so we wanted to make sure he was a fun, nice, professional guy that we weren’t going to be annoyed by.

Post # 21
    1049 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: January 1998

We spent $3k and got

• 2 shooters for an unlimited time
    • All photos (over 1400) color corrected and edited on a disc with full rights
    • A 40 side album (originally 30, but she loved so many of the pictures she upgraded us for free)
    • An engagement shoot including all images color corrected on a disc with full rights

The pictures came out so great, they were featured in A Practical Wedding, the most recent Knot PA/DE spring/summer 2011 magazine as well as on the knot website. Worth every penny!

http://weddings.theknot.com/Real-Weddings/76805/view.aspx?type=1&id=76805

Post # 22
    3977 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

We’re paying $1000 for 4 hours, a CD, editing within 1 week, and usage rights. And she said we’d get approx. 600 images! I really like her work so I was willing to have a shortened time frame and get better quality pictures (hopefully).

Oh and we’re in the Los Angeles area.

Post # 23
    399 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2011

We’re paying $1900 for two photographers for the full day/unlimited time, all the edited proofs printed & in an album, all the edited proofs on a disc with rights released to us, a 24 page album, and an engagement shoot.  We really like our photographer. =)

Post # 24
    548 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2017

Honestly, I’m not paying anything and we really can’t afford to…and photography is not really a priority of mine.  My sister in law, who is a graphic artist) is going to be taking our pictures for free.  I don’t like having my picture taken, no matter what the occasion, so if we get a couple of good pictures I’ll be fine.  She’s also doing our engagement pictures, once in the spring and then once in the fall.  And I really don’t want to spend the day with someone I don’t know, especially while getting ready etc, so I’m going to feel more comfortable with her.

Post # 25
    5147 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

$3000. That includes engagement session, destination wedding in Florida, and reception in Kansas City. (Along with pictures on CD with printing rights, some photo credits, an album, etc.)

Post # 26
    8 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: May 2013

We went with Sarah Mattix Photography !! She is amazing and $3500 for the wedding bridals and engagements!

Post # 28
    1866 posts
    Buzzing bee

We’re paying b/t 5-6K.  To answer “why” – I fell in love with this photographer and those were her prices.  

Post # 29
    788 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

I did a crazy amount of research before we signed our contract. We are spending $3000.00 and are getting 14 hours of photography and videography over 2 days (our wedding is a 2 day affair). That includes taxes. We choose to do it this way because we wanted to do prints ourselves, as we have a few connections for printing photos. We receive a standard 5 minute trailer of our wedding as well as a 90 minute wedding highlight video. We chose our photog/videog because their work is stunning, but simple, and we fell in love with her pictures right from the start. She represented the best combination of price and quality.

The topic ‘How much did you spend on a photographer and why? Poll included!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors