(Closed) How much did your large diamond cost?

posted 8 years ago in Rings
  • poll: If you have a 2ct+ diamond, or have seen one in a store, how much was it?
    Less than $5,000 : (5 votes)
    4 %
    $5k-$10k : (20 votes)
    16 %
    $10k-$15k : (24 votes)
    19 %
    $15-$20k : (24 votes)
    19 %
    $20-$25k : (13 votes)
    10 %
    $25k+ : (23 votes)
    18 %
    I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE ASKING : (17 votes)
    13 %
  • Post # 17
    653 posts
    Busy bee

@PromiseRooster:   Here are a few examples! Personally, I prefer stones with some warmth. I’ve seen several J’s that I loved. Cut is most important to me, by far. 

Post # 18
    134 posts
    Blushing bee

Wow.  You said it yourself.  This IS an impolite question.  In fact, it’s considered quite gauche. 

If you want this kind of info, you can easily look this up on most websites for diamonds or loose diamonds.

Post # 20
    653 posts
    Busy bee

@Baron:  I think it would be impolite to ask someone you knew or a stranger walking down the street, but in an anonymous forum that has many threads regarding specifics of diamonds, I don’t see anything wrong with it. Especially since you don’t even have to click on the thread if it’s a question you wouldn’t want to answer. 

Post # 23
    653 posts
    Busy bee

@PromiseRooster:  +1. 

I actually find Blue Nile on the higher side. 

I also like James Allen. I could spend hours looking at all their diamonds! They have a video for each and every stone. I

Post # 24
    367 posts
    Helper bee

@Baron:  Oh please. This is the ring board. Plenty of people talk about how much diamonds cost on here.

Post # 25
    1606 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: December 2014

@Baron:  nope, actually you’re quite impolite. Dont come to a RING board where diamond specs/prices are regularly asked and then throw someone under the bus!

Post # 26
    1044 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

@Baron:  +1 yeah, im not sure why there is a need to really ask when you can just look up costs?

View original reply
    @PromiseRooster:  That said, we got super lucky and were able to get a phenomenal deal on my 3 carat, triple EX H&A G (eyeclean) SI1 diamond because I mentioned we were ring shopping to an old friend I went to law school with, and he just happened to chime in that his mother still held a wholesale license leftover from her long ago past days in the diamond industry. he was able to pass along our desired specs to her, and she had a few shipped in for us to see. The retail markup on diamonds is just incredible and we saved a ton (almost 25% under bluenile’s price for a diamond with similar specs, which is a considerable amount at that point), but it was still pretty pricey. We were able to give her cash on the spot and buy it untaxed. SO nice of her to do that for us at cost!!

Outside of doing something like that, I don’t think you’ll find anything much less than what you see on bluenile. I think the on-the-spot cash offer in a non-chain diamond district setting is a great thing to try. also, I think second hand is a great thing to try. check out idonowidont.com and even pawn shops in decent areas of a city (i hear some of the pawn shops in the better parts of LA have some amazing jewelry). Diamonds have terrible resale value — that can be used to your advantage!

Post # 27
    653 posts
    Busy bee

@polyblonde:  I believe OP was probably asking because of situations just like yours! Online prices can vary from what people actually do end up paying. That’s so awesome how you got your ring, I bet it’s amazing! Also, I’ve stalked “Now I do now I don’t” several times, they can have some killer rings on there! 

Post # 28
    216 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

Estate is the way to go for the best deal.  I have an estate  2.10 ctr stone with a .50  wrap for $5,000  Paying cash does get you the best deals too.  

Post # 29
    1044 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

@Future_Mrs_Dr_I:  yeah, after i posted i thought just that. derp. haha.

Yeah, i feel very fortunate and grateful about the way it worked out! It is an amazing stone and beyond what I had ever expected or dreamed of!

They really do have some insane rings on that website…ah!!! i want em all!

Post # 30
    653 posts
    Busy bee

@polyblonde:  ooooooh……. Grab a bib, then go look at diamondsbylauren.com, you will drool!! I can’t remember which bee told me about it, otherwise I would credit her. Very unique stuff and they have all colors! I hope you’ve posted a pic of yours somewhere because I’m off to find it!! 🙂 

ETA: FOUND IT!!! Wowzers, it’s amazing! *And* you and I are tiny finger twins!! I’m a 3.5, but could go a hair smaller. 3.25 is just a wee but tight on me. 

The topic ‘How much did your large diamond cost?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors