(Closed) How much do you work?

posted 9 years ago in Career
  • poll: How much do you work PER WEEK

    Less than 20 hours / week

    20-30 hours / week

    30 - 35 hours / week

    ~40 hours (standard full time) / week

    45-50 hours / week

    50-60 hours / week

    60+ hours / week

  • Post # 32
    Member
    1963 posts
    Buzzing bee

    View original reply
    @Boston Bee: Lucky!  I pulled firm hours at my clerkships 🙁 (or damn close to it)

    Post # 34
    Member
    2214 posts
    Buzzing bee

    View original reply
    @heather25: I work in the Northern District of Florida. Not too much action here. haha

    Post # 35
    Member
    241 posts
    Helper bee

    I work around 25 hours a week, but I am also a full time student. I don’t know how I would manage working more hours then I already do with a full class load.

    Post # 36
    Member
    1963 posts
    Buzzing bee

    View original reply
    @WestCoast:That’s awesome!  Good for you.

    View original reply
    @Boston Bee: and extra lucky because you are in FL!  I woulda loved to clerk for Barkett and hung out on the beach.

    Post # 37
    Member
    466 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

    I’m salaried, I work in an office 5 days a week 7:30-6, and usually one day per weekend, but I do have the option of working from home.

    Post # 38
    Member
    7975 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

    My entire building is on 7 hour work days (supposedly…almost everyone is there longer though, mostly salaried employees). Hourly employees get OT above 40 hours a week, but the standard “full time” week is 35 hours. I love having 7 hour work days and find that I get just as much done as I would in 8 hours, 95% of the time. The other 5% I just end up staying an hour or two later.

    Post # 39
    Member
    2095 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

    At this job I get paid for 40 hours but might work 3/4 of that. However in past jobs I have worked 60+ a week and was salaried at 40.

    P.S I am waiting to give birth any day now so busting my butt is not top priority right now. I hate my job…maybe there should be a spinoff on how many hours you actually work while at work…lol

    Post # 40
    Member
    2495 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: January 1991

    I’m a part time teacher, and I technically am contracted to work 20 hours a week, but it usually is closer to 30 between paperwork, meetings before/after school hours, lesson planning/prep, grading, and recording. 

    I also come in to school about a half hour before I am required to be, and leave about a half hour after.  I also NEVER have a formal lunch break — I always eat between my groups of kids.  In a sense it’s nice because I always have 4.5 day weekends, but in another sense it sucks because it’s hard to schedule parent meetings, plus I’m not in the district much so it’s hard for me to get to know everyone.

    Post # 41
    Member
    5667 posts
    Bee Keeper

    View original reply
    @galloway111: I’m pretty sure she was referring to salaried employees…

    Post # 42
    Member
    5495 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: September 2010

    Anywhere from 25 to 38 hours depending on who is on vacation and how much coverage is needed.

    Post # 43
    Member
    3871 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

    View original reply
    @ddw: My last company was a UK based company so we only had 35 hour weeks and 7 hour days.  It was great! If I move back to the east coast, I will definitely try to get another job at that same company.

    Post # 44
    Member
    821 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: January 2012

    I am a teacher and work 50-60 hours a week.  I work 7:30-5:30 each day (school hours are 9-3, I work this out of choice), plus take home marking, planning, have after school meetings etc as other teachers have already said!

    Also lunch and morning tea breaks are spent during duty, tutoring kids who need it, meetings, catching up on work etc.

    I absolutely love teaching and wouldn’t change jobs for the world, although I choose to work this much it makes my life easier by being organised.  The only thing that bugs me is when people say oh you are a teacher, must be nice, working 9-3 and getting heaps of holidays every year.  We do actually work really hard! 🙂

     

    Post # 45
    Member
    241 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

    I’m 38 hours a week and a part time student. I think that’s right about perfect for me right now. Last semester I was full time both and it about killed me, plus I had an hour commute. It pretty much sucked.

    Post # 46
    Member
    660 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

    Depending on what needs to get done, but I’m currently working about 10 hours per week.

    The topic ‘How much do you work?’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors