(Closed) How much of your wedding did you pay for yourself?

posted 7 years ago in Money
  • poll: What percentage of your wedding did you pay yourself?
    100% : (61 votes)
    26 %
    80-100% : (44 votes)
    19 %
    60-80% : (28 votes)
    12 %
    40-60% : (31 votes)
    13 %
    20-40% : (23 votes)
    10 %
    1-20% : (36 votes)
    15 %
    0% : (13 votes)
    6 %
  • Post # 62
    707 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: January 2004

Fiance and I are paying for just about everything ourselves (his dad paid for 1/2 of the singer for our ceremony and part of reception). Fiance had a bit of money saved up, so he took on the honeymoon himself. 

Post # 63
    1092 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

My parents are paying for 100% of it, excluding my engagement ring and our honeymoon. So, they are paying about 25k. We could pay for it but it is traditional in our family for the bride’s parents to pay and I expect to do the same for any future daughters I have.

Post # 64
    290 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

our budget is 10k and we are paying 100%.

My first wedding 10 years ago was about 5k from my mom and dad, and 1k from us.  My ex’s family didn’t pay for anything. 

Post # 65
    1344 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2013 - Vine Street Church

Paid 100% on wedding and honeymoon. We were lucky that my grandma gave us her wedding set to use as my engagement ring, so we saved on ring cost, but everything else was out of pocket — it’s one of the reasons we had an eleven month engagement. My parents wanted to pay, but they declared bankruptcy a few years ago and have pretty much no savings whatsoever. My dad was actually pretty devastated that they couldn’t help :(.

Post # 66
    722 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

our wedding is about $15k

my dad is paying for food/drink. i am paying for the rest. so i’m paying about 8-10k$.

Post # 67
    1475 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2014

My parents are covering our venue/catering/bar ($24K) and my dress/alterations (roughly $1600). It’s an incredibly generous gesture on their part and I feel grateful bordering on guilty for it.

FI’s mom has offered to cover our rehearsal dinner; unsure how much that’s going to cost.

We (mostly my Fiance really) are covering the rest, which is looking like an additional ~$10K not including rings or honeymoon (which we will also be paying for ourselves).

Post # 68
    191 posts
    Blushing bee

We are paying for it all. 🙂

Post # 69
    1914 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2014 - Dallas, TX

My dad has offered to pay for 17k. our budget is to stay under 25k, and the rest is being paid by us (actually me since I have a ton in savings and Fiance is a poor graduate student). His parents are giving us a few hundred dollars towards our honeymoon and the rest we are hoping to pay with money gifts from the wedding. We aren’t going on our honeymoon right after the wedding. 

Post # 70
    3370 posts
    Sugar bee

@freshflowers:  We’re paying 100% ourselves and having a small wedding. I would never think it was my parents responsibility to pay for anything for me. Of course donations are welcome 🙂

Post # 71
    2437 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

@freshflowers:  We paid for almost everything at least 80%. Our wedding cost about 7k.

Post # 72
    2513 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: February 2015

@freshflowers:  We are paying for most of it, the budget is 30k.  Everything except the flowers.  DF’s mom sent me an email the other day offerring to pay for all our floral arrangements, like she has for the others.  It’s very generous and unexpected.  My cousin is our florist (she’s a bridal florist by trade and she’s awesome.  She did the arrangements for her own wedding.)  So we were already getting the family discount. 😉  I don’t want to go crazy with the flowers simply because we aren’t paying.  The rest of the wedding is being covered by the 2 of us.  On DF’s amex (for the points) and then paid in cash when the bill comes due.  It’s spread out over the next year, we have savings accounts if we need to pay a bill bigger than what our left over take home pay can cover that month.  So far (with everything we put on the amex) we have the flights for the honeymoon covered.  Those will be free!  And we still have all the big purchases to make.  

Post # 74
    568 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2014

My parents paid half of the wedding, his parents paid half of the honeymoon, we covered the rest

Post # 75
    70 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

Our wedding will be about $40k in total.  My mom and dad are contributing about $5k and his parents are spending about $3k on the rehearsal dinner.  Both sets of parents would give us the moon and pay for everything if they could, but it’s just not possible for them. 

I picked up 2 extra jobs and have had a 2 year long enagagment in order to pay for everything.  Tax returns from 2012 and 2013 will be used as well.  The goal is not to put anything on credit but we’ll see…  Plan A is to have everything paid for and quit the 2 extra jobs about 2 weeks before the wedding.  Plan B is to put a (hopefully) small amount on our credit card and continue working at the extra jobs until that is paid off.  Sometimes I think about how long and hard I’ve worked to pay for one day and it makes me sick.  But, I wanted a big wedding!

The topic ‘How much of your wedding did you pay for yourself?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors