(Closed) How much time is best for wedding & reception?

posted 8 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
714 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I say go with the one you love more.  Six hours is probably enough time.  We started our ceremony at 6 and we were over at 12…most vendors book for 6 hrs and more is extra.  A few things to keep in mind are:

Does your group that like to party late?

Can afford to pay vendors for more hours?

Are no noise restrictions (like you have to shut down amplified music at 10 or 12)?

What venues are you looking at?  How do the prices compare?

Post # 4
1940 posts
Buzzing bee

We held our wedding/ reception at one location.  The wedding ceremony started at 5:30 and we ended the night around 9:45.  My husband and I were so ready to be done by that point and were glad that we had asked the facility ahead of time to actually cut the reception a little over an hour over the standard time.  Do you and your Fiance normally like to be the center of attention/ party for hours at a time – if so, take that into consideration.  My husband and I are more quiet/ reserved and while the reception was fun, it was also kind of stressful, and I think we were both happy when it was over.

Post # 5
1940 posts
Buzzing bee

Oops!  Double post.

Post # 6
7296 posts
Busy Beekeeper

my ceremony is starting at 4pm. dinner is from 5-7, beach bonfire party is 7 – 10. so the whole thing is 6 hours.  kinds freaks me out that i am planning a whole in advance for these 6 hours! but i think its a good time frame. and my reception has to shut down at 10pm, so i also didnt have much choice.

Post # 8
1684 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Don’t forget to factor in photography time if your Fiance doesn’t want to do a first look.

My ceremony is at 2:30, over by 3, and dinner’s not til 6ish & total thing over by 3am. Fiance doesn’t want to do a first look so we have 3 hours to get family shots, bridal party stuff, & our session.

oh and ceremony & reception in the same place.

Post # 9
1664 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I think 5-6 hours is “average.”  If your ceremony is short, you could probably do even less. 

Most couples I’ve talked to say that the day flew by and they wish they had more time. 

We’re doing 6 hours total and our ceremony and reception are at the same place.  Our ceremony will be under 30 mins.

Post # 10
7695 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

We held our ceremony and reception at one location – our ceremony started at 6 and our reception ended around 11:30 – 6 hours is plenty of time IMO!

The topic ‘How much time is best for wedding & reception?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors