(Closed) How much wedding-debt was left after your big day?

posted 8 years ago in Money
  • poll: How much did you owe after your wedding?
    None! : (189 votes)
    74 %
    $0 - $1000 : (18 votes)
    7 %
    $1000 - $5000 : (29 votes)
    11 %
    $5000 - $10000 : (8 votes)
    3 %
    $10000 - $15000 : (5 votes)
    2 %
    $15000 - $20000 : (3 votes)
    1 %
    $20000 - $30000 : (3 votes)
    1 %
    $30000 + : (1 votes)
    0 %
  • Post # 47
    6 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: October 2013

@O.My.Heart:  We havent been married yet – 3 months to go! We have had a lot of help from my parents and my fiances parents and were paying for a bulk of the day and the honeymoon. We are also building a house and I am about to lose my job – I have said if we go into a debt of less than $3000 (our entire wedding is costing a touch over $50K inc honeymoon) then I would be okay with that. Unforseen circumstances and extra payments for troubles with building a house have made me think – one day – the happiest day of our lives – a little bit of debt doesnt matter to us. We already have a large debt with our house prior to getting married so I am not fussed about chucking a few grand on the old credit card! Though I understand everyone is different – each to their own 🙂

Post # 48
    1303 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2011

If we couldn’t afford it at that moment, we didn’t book it or buy it. walked away that night with all bills paid and checks cleared! 

Our no longer friends took out a $20000 personal loan for their wedding. just the wedding, no honeymoon. I’m sure they’re enjoying that loan payment. 

Post # 49
    59 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

It’s sad to say, but it’s been a blessing to have 15 guests declining the wedding invite as of now. Our extremely bursting at the seams budget for 85 guests now has room to breathe at 70. I was even able to order a wedding cake with the reception savings, and it’s looking like we will break even:-) . Hurray for busy summer schedules! Much as I love my guests:-) . 

That being said, I’m not going to judge a couple taking out a reasonable loan for the wedding. If my fiance and I did not have current loans, I would have taken a loan of 1-5K to help pad the wedding budget, and maybe I would have had more fun than stress planning the wedding that way. We did not need any extra debt, however, and I am relieved that our hard work to save has paid off. 

Post # 50
    7382 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: January 2011

Not everything was paid right after the wedding.  I’m sure there was some stuff on our credit card that hadn’t gone through the billing cycle yet.  The limo company also took quite some time to actually charge us.

We paid 0 interest on anything wedding related.

Post # 51
    101 posts
    Blushing bee

I’m not married yet, but we’re aiming for no debt. We’ve been saving for a wedding the past few months, and will continue to save until we have our wedding and honeymoon budget plus an extra 20% on top of those budgets just in case.

Post # 52
    3201 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

We’re planning for none. My parents are paying for big portion of the wedding which is helping us a lot and we’re taking a short, more local honeymoon after so we don’t go into debt. FH and I both will be recent college graduates (I graduate in November, he graduates in December and we’re getting married in March) when we get married. He had to buy a new truck last month, so we’re trying to make sure that we don’t have any debt for the wedding or honeymoon because we’ll have student loans and a truck to pay for. 

Post # 53
    1611 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: Central Park

We had about $300 after but most of that was tsken care of by selling the decor.

Post # 54
    18 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: August 2013

We were aiming for no debt but life happened and we ended up with some unexpected medical bills. It’s not exactly wedding debt but we had to dip into our wedding savings to pay for it. We’re not married yet but I’ll be moving to Texas and still don’t have a job right now, so we’re on target (boo!) to have about $1500 debt right now. However, we have a plan that should have it all paid off (with minimal to no interest) in less than six months.

Post # 55
    138 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

Yeah, I agree with the last poster…I really don’t buy that so few people went over budget on their weddings – people either aren’t sharing or maybe parents paid so they aren’t aware of any bills that came after the day?  I’m queen of budgeting and we def ended up a bit over budget – paid everything off within a couple of months of the wedding, but we did come back from our honeymoon with a few wedding bills 🙁 Overall, it was all worth it, there are actually a few things, like a wedding planner, that I wish I’d splurged on in hindsight to give everything a more polished feel.

Post # 56
    672 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

There is no way we would have gone into debt for a wedding.  Yes, it was important to us, but if we didn’t have the money to spend, we would have scaled back the wedding.  

Post # 57
    2187 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

I am paying for the wedding and reception and FH is paying for the honeymoon. There will be no wedding debt at all as our budgets reflect what we can afford to pay.

Post # 58
    849 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2011

I didn’t pay for the food and cake until the next day when I returned the cake stand to the place that catered.

Post # 59
    871 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

We sort of rushed into getting married because I was starting a 2 year program which would make it impossible to plan. So…after an 8 month engagement we ended with over $10k in credit card debt. Though during the engagement I paid off 3 credit cards and my car,  DH paid off noth his cards so the wedding and honeymoon are all that are on it now. Saving for another year and paying cash would have been great but I’m glad I got into the program earlier instead.

Post # 60
    623 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

We shouldnt owe anything after the wedding. We’re gonna take our honeymoon the next day and were not going out of state(its 3 hours from our home). We’re planning on using the $ we have saved or $ we get as a gift at our wedding for the honeymoon. We didn’t want to spend tons on our honeymoon so that’s why we didn’t go really far and were going for 5 days 4 nights.

Post # 61
    1797 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

We did pretty good.  We had some tight months.  But in the end we were about $2600 in the green.  I tried to overestimate for most things so by the end we were pretty relieved.

The topic ‘How much wedding-debt was left after your big day?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors