(Closed) How much were you earning right out of college(/grad/law/med/whatever school)?

posted 10 years ago in Career
  • poll: What was your yearly pre-tax salary right out of college? If shared finances, vote on that too.
    Under $4,999 : (2 votes)
    1 %
    $5,000 - $9,999 : (1 votes)
    0 %
    $10,000 - $29,999 : (56 votes)
    28 %
    $30,000 - $49,999 : (94 votes)
    46 %
    $50,000 - $79,999 : (36 votes)
    18 %
    $80,000 - $99,999 : (4 votes)
    2 %
    $100,000 and above : (9 votes)
    4 %
    Other -- explain! : (1 votes)
    0 %
  • Post # 45
    2103 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: February 2013

My first job out of school was a fellowship for a prestigious arts organization. I was making around $26K. Now, I’m in grad school and on an assistantship, so I make $16,000 a year. It gets pretty rough, but I’m happy with what I do…

Post # 46
    2236 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

View original reply
    @Kant: For under $1000 you could get an apartment basically anywhere.  I know people that have great apartments in Shadyside that don’t cost over $1000…where are you searching?  The best way to look for apartments around here is craigslist.  Most of the people I know rent from individuals, not management companies, and everyone I know found their places on Craigslist, lol.

Post # 47
    293 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

View original reply
    @Kant: I currently live in Pittsburgh too. I made $27,000 right out of college in Upstate NY (graduated 2004) in sports medicine. I then jumped to $38,000 right out of grad school in Pittsburgh (graduated 2008) at a local non-profit and have only had one small raise since then. I think I’m still feeling the whole economic downfall with salary freezes and loss of 401K match. Overall, 6 years in professional world and I refuse to settle for anything less than $50,000 for my next job b/c I deserve it!!!

I love Shadyside, but Franklin West is super expensive! Fiance and I also pay $1000/month plus electric, but we also get a free parking spot, newly remodeled lg apt, and view of the entire city (we live on Grandview Ave in Mt. Washington). I would try looking more in Friendship, Morningside, Mt. Washington areas b/c they have much larger apts for the same cost or less.

Post # 49
    340 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

I started my first job out of college as a paralegal (in 2004) at $33k – however, my firm was acquired by another firm shortly after I started and my salary jumped to $47k. Currently making almost double in a Marketing career, but when I left being a paralegal with just over 5 years experience I was making $70k. DH had it lucky as an attorney. Starting salary for lawyers in NYC out of law school at good firms is $160k.

Post # 50
    322 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

Still in law school, but I graduate in a month. My job starts in August and I’ll be making a little over 57,000/yr.

Post # 51
    772 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2011

View original reply
    @moderndaisy:

What is your line of work, if you don’t mind me asking.  Most salaries seem to be going down, so it’s great you found an industry where they have gone up!

Post # 52
    238 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

Right out of college, I was offered a couple jobs right around $35K, and negotiated my starting salary to $38K. Now, a year and a half later, my salary has increased by $5K. I still work the same job. Living in DC is expensive, but with no student loans, I put a lot of money in savings. My Fiance makes more than $10K less than me but I graduated earlier and he has no car, so it balances out. We are doing pretty well, I think!

Edit: Fiance and I both only have bachelor’s degrees, but they are from a top private university which goes a long way in this town. No trouble finding multiple job offers right out of school.

Post # 53
    3600 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 1992

I started at about 48k with a BSN

Post # 54
    402 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: December 2020

I will be part-tme for awhile. They even have a name for us; “freeway fliers”, meaning that adjunct instructors tend to zip and zoom at multiple colleges to make ends meet…or to just pass time (haha).

After BA: $15-18 USD an hour.

During MS: $20 USD an hour.

After MS: $36-$45 USD an hour.

Now: $37-$51 USD an hour.

I won’t be salaried for sometime. I’m really lucky that Fiance has a super stable career. Mine is stable in its own way…for example, if I lose one job it won’t hurt me so much because I’m juggling 3 others with similar pay scales. Just no benefits 🙁

The topic ‘How much were you earning right out of college(/grad/law/med/whatever school)?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors