(Closed) How much will open bar for 1 cock tail hour cost for 225 people?

posted 6 years ago in Weddingbee
Post # 3
12954 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

It depends on a lot of factors:

– How many adults vs. children
– How many heavy drinkers vs. light drinkers
– Beer/wine/liquor?
– Availabiltiy of food
– Dinner after cocktail hour?
– Other entertainment? 
– Alcohol provided with dinner? 

Why wouldn’t people be there the entire cocktail hour? 

Post # 4
485 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

You need to ask your venue how much they will charge per drink – this will vary by location.

We are doing a “tab” because we are having a small wedding (llike 25 guests total; 5 are kids under 21 and 4 of the adults don’t drink alcohol at all)…… but the venue wanted to charge $20.95 per person x # guests over 21 even if they don’t drink x 4 hours + $150 bartender charge.  I actually think that’s pretty standard.

We switched to the “tab” billing and they are charging $6 for mixed drinks and $3 for beer.  Based on that formula…… my guests would have had to have about 6 drinks per hour to “make up” for non-drinkers and get the value for the money we would have paid.

HOWEVER – if you are in a big city or having an upscale reception…. your per drink prices will probably be significantly higher than what I am paying (at a winery just outside of St Louis).

When I did research, moderate drinkers will consume 2-3 drinks per hour.  Heavy drinkers will consume 3-4 drinks per hour.   Get the price of drinks and do the math to figure out which puts you ahead.

The topic ‘How much will open bar for 1 cock tail hour cost for 225 people?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors