- 5 years ago
- Wedding: August 2013
So, our situation is a bit different but we have been together over 6yrs, we both have good jobs and have finished our degrees, and he has the ring.
I recently found out I got into grad school for next year at a top school, which is great. For the program I’m in we won’t have to move or quit my job, but it is VERY expensive. The program is extremely intense, has no beaks like across the summer etc.
So now we have been discussing if we want to get married sometime before my program starts. But there are a few issues. We currently have enough savings for our perfect wedding, but we had really been saving that money for my grad school (which will cost ~$80K). I have been approved for financing for my whole program, but I don’t really want to put it on debt and if we save like mad, we should be able to pay for the whole program ourselves with no debt. Then, to make things more complicated, my work has asked me if I want to transfer to where the university is (which is not Manditory, but would probably be easier) but if we did this, there are lots of different costs like moving across the country (work would likely pay for this), SO might be out of work temporarily (he can’t transfer but he will be able to find work pretty easily too). But we would generally like to move to this city.
So if we don’t get married this year, there is no way we’ll be able to do it until mid-late 2015 (aka our 9th year dating). But this year is also pretty busy for us (we both work full time, he is finishing a second degree by coorispondance and I am working on a really tough professional designation for the next few months).
So bees, what would you do? Rush it and get married this fall? Wait a couple years? anyway, I’m glad SO and I had this great Convo! I plan to talk to my boss on Monday and ask him about the other office and how it would be to work there (I love my current office, but he used to work in the one I may transfer to, so hopefully he can tell me about it).
Sorry this was crazy long!
PS I’m not too worried about having enough time to plan the wedding as we only want 30 people, but we want it to be perfect (estimated cost $20 – $25K). We already know where we would hold it etc too. So we would probably just book the venue now, and not worry about anything else until after I finish my professional designation exam in a few months. Luckily the venue we’re thinking of would allow us to have our ceremony and reception there, and they are AMAZING for food.