(Closed) How safe is it to send copies of birth certificate & passport to hotel?

posted 6 years ago in Destination Weddings
Post # 3
7296 posts
Busy Beekeeper

well i had to send copies of our birth certificates only and i had no problem. I scanned them and sent them in an email – i am pretty sure i password protected the document they were scanned into.  then you can give the password in a separate email or over the phone.  that was the most secure way i knew how to do it.  However, i partly did it like that because i was lazy and didn’t mail them sooner. If i got around to it i would have mailed them via snail mail several months earlier.  I also know a few people that have got married in  Jamaica (well, two people personally), and no had identity theft issues.  Just think there are weddings almost every day, all year, at all the resorts and every couple is doing the same thing with sending in the certificates.

I do wonder why you have to send your passport as i was not asked for this – maybe its an American versus Canadian thing?

Another idea if you want to mail and not email is to maybe FedEx it or something through priority mail. That way it gets delievered right to the person’s hands and not dropped in a mail box. you can probably pay a bit extra to have a signature required upon delivery too so you know exactly who received them.

Post # 5
197 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

We too are getting married in Jamaica in May and was told to FedEx or UPS everything to them two months or more in advance AND everything we send must be notiarized.  We then have to bring all of the original documents to match up to their copies!!   We werent given the option of emailing anything.

Definitely make sure you send these documents with some sort of tracking number.  (FYI if either of you are divorced they required a copy of the divorce decree too!)

Post # 6
2548 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I PM’d you 🙂

The topic ‘How safe is it to send copies of birth certificate & passport to hotel?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors