(Closed) How to address PhD’s

posted 7 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
11113 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I think it’s still Dr, but I agree if it were me I wouldn’t be offended at all to be called Miss especially in a non-academic situation

Post # 4
3520 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I work with both MDs and PhDs and everyone is Dr. in my correspondence.  The older PhDs are actually pretty touchy about it if you don’t…

Post # 5
6597 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

PhD’s are also Dr. and so formal etiquette would say that they should be addressed as so. However, I have also heard that PhD’s are only to be referred as Dr. in the academic setting.

I personally do not want to be referred to as Dr. (once I am done my PhD) in a social setting; however, there are many who probably would!

So I would be safe and go with Dr.

Post # 7
6597 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

Haha I totally get it but at the same time it could be cute because you worked so hard to get those letters together!

You could skip the title all together and just list first and last names if you want to avoid the issue 😉

Post # 8
348 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

yeah, i agree. PhDs are addressed as Dr.

Post # 9
642 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

If you are asking about how to address them on wedding invites, only medical doctors are addressed as Dr. on the envelope.  According to Crane, lawyers and PhDs are not addressed as Esq. or Dr. on the envelope.  The only other titles that would be used on an envelope would be clergy, judges (honorable), and military (but only officers).  

I would just address your friends as Ms., Mrs., or Mr.

Here’s a link that uses Crane’s Blue Book as reference:


Post # 10
1696 posts
Bumble bee

The first rule of addressing people, under all social circumstances, is that you use the name and title that they themselves prefer to use socially. If your friends use “Dr” on their social correspondence (for, example, when they issue invitations the invitations come from “Dr John Doe”, you address them as “Dr” when you correspond with them.

If you have to resort to etiquette rules because you don’t know their preference, the formal etiquette rule is that medical doctors are referred to as “Doctor” and those with a doctorate in other disciplines are referred to as “Mr” or “Ms” (or Miss or Mrs, but that gets you back to guessing about preferences).

Post # 12
4137 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

@vaness13181:exactly! address them as mr. and mrs. on invitations.

Post # 13
158 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I’m one too! I hate being called Dr., but it’s fun to see on a wedding invite.  I used the title for my colleagues, who also never use it. Tongue out

For Ph.D.s it’s Dr. John Smith, for M.D.s it Doctor John Smith.

Post # 15
592 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

My mom has her Ph.D and while she wouldn’t be one to complain about getting one with a “Mrs” I know she far prefers “Dr”, at least on formal invites or letters. She earned that prefix as far as I’m concerned,”proper” ettiquette aside, she worked just as hard for her doctorate. So, yes, on a human level I really think it’s ridiculous that the prefix should be limited to just the medical profession.

I guess I would go with whatever you know that people prefer and otherwise the more formal or professional option.

The topic ‘How to address PhD’s’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors