(Closed) How to change names? Esp. MARRIED BEES!

posted 6 years ago in Boston
Post # 3
85 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2008

Here is a link that has specifics: http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/advice/20050125a1.asp
But basically it’s as follows:

1)  Fill out the following form:

2)  Go to your local social security office with the filled out form, and your evidence documents (birth certificate, passport), along with a copy of your marriage certificate.
Local office locations:  http://www.ssa.gov/boston/MA.htm

3)  Wait to receive your new social security card in the mail (usually 10 days).

4)  Go to the RMV to get your driver’s license name changed.
Bring your new SSN, $25, your marriage certificate, and this form filled out:  http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/21042.pdf

5)  After you have your new license, you should notify your employer, bank accounts, etc of your new name change.  Some may require you to bring in your marriage license and driver’s license:

  • bank or credit union.
  • brokerage and other investment accounts.
  • mortgage company or landlord.
  • credit card companies.
  • department store accounts.
  • insurance companies or agent (auto, home, life, etc.).
  • medical offices (your doctor, dentist, etc.).
  • utilities (phone, electric, natural gas, heating oil, etc.).
  • state and local (city and county) tax boards.
  • passport office.
  • post office.
  • voter registration board.
  • other miscellaneous accounts and memberships (Internet service provider, newspaper and magazine subscriptions, auto club, alumni association, etc.)

Hope this helps!!!

Post # 4
65 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

@Emilie posted a great list.  Like she said you have to start by going to social security with a certified copy of your marriage license.  You don’t have to wait for your card to arrive to do everything else.  You just have to wait 48 hours and then you can go to the DMV because the name change will be recorded in their system at that point.  It’s not hard but a lot of waiting in line and calling places! 

Post # 5
15 posts
  • Wedding: May 2012

@Emilie:  Thanks for such thorough information!


I wonder if anyone has used www.missnowmrs.com?  One of the blogger bees (I can’t remember which) talked about this service.  You pay $30, and fill in the information on the database, and then it imports into all of the forms you need (rather than filling in the same information over and over on forms.)  I’d be interested to know of anyone’s experience with this!

Post # 6
3 posts
  • Wedding: December 2012

wow this was all very helpfull! thank you @Emilie 


The topic ‘How to change names? Esp. MARRIED BEES!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors