(Closed) how to get our wedding in a magazine or blog?

posted 8 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 4
Member
3526 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

@flamingred:

How interesting. I didn’t know you can actually submit your wedding to SMP!

How does everyone think their Fiance would feel about this? Hehe. Wink

Post # 5
Member
1883 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I know, I’m suprised too. I can’t imagine how many submissions a day she gets!

Post # 6
Member
1523 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I would talk to your photographer first. Check your contract, but I am guessing that the pictures are copyrighted under your photographer so you need their permission to publish!

Post # 7
Member
3526 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

@jaylii9:

If you read SMP’s submission guidelines you have to submit your photographer name or they won’t publish.

And I don’t think there are any photographers that won’t want to be published on a blog. It’s free advertising! Laughing

Post # 9
Member
1523 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

@Gerbera: I know that a photographer’s work being published in a blog is great publicity, but I bought this up because my photography contract states that we must obtain permission from our photographer in order to publish or print the pictures for non-personal purposes.

Post # 10
Member
1506 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I don’t have any advice for you, but I would like to add that you look so much like a brunette Julia Styles!

Post # 11
Member
2781 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Even if the photographer was a friend then I would ask. After all, it’d be his/her name being advertised as the photographer and they might not be comfortable with how SMP look/work or being advertised in that way. Just as a thought. 

I only say that because my sister is a professional photographer and took our engagement photos and was very clear about where she didn’t want us to post our photos and I was quite surprised at some of her comments.

Post # 12
Member
2207 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

Definitely ask the friend.  Im not sure about magazines, but we had our wedding featured on a bunch of blogs.  Once the first one posted mine, a bunch of others picked it up.  Our photog was THRILLED to do it, but you want to be sure they give you photos with a watermark on it if that is what they want, etc. 

For blogs, have your photog submit some photos or go to their “submission” links on the website.  SMP is tough, as they tend to favor features that include vendors of their “Little Blue Book” list.   Good luck!

Post # 13
Member
130 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Just FYI, wedding blogs and magazines only really care about the details/decor.  They’ll publish a few portraits, but the whole reason for publishing real weddings is to show brides what other brides have done to make their wedding unique, so when submitting, 70% of your images should be details like bouquets, centerpieces, escort cards, cakes, etc. and the other 30% should be people photos (usually posed shots like bridesmaids, groomsmen, wedding party, B&G, with a few candids).

Post # 14
Member
990 posts
Busy bee

check out justmarried.com or contact theknot.com with their real weddings section, you could be featured

Post # 15
Member
6661 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

My sisters wedding was just highlighted in the Knot PA magazine 🙂 If you have the mag, they are Carolyn & Steven at the Franklin Institute and I made it in too in the pic of us on Broad St.!

She had no idea about it until the Knot contacted her with a questionnaire. Turns out her photographer submitted it to the Knot, and from what we heard she does this with most of the weddings she shoots.

Post # 16
Member
6661 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

@stacyreeves:You are totally correct, my sister and her husband were so confused about why the Knot chose certain pictures to publish when there were clearly ‘better ones’ of the two of them. I told her exactly what you said, they are highlighting the wedding details more than the couple.

The topic ‘how to get our wedding in a magazine or blog?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors