(Closed) How to keep wedding details away from prying eyes?

posted 3 years ago in Bridesmaids
Post # 2
5277 posts
Bee Keeper

MrsHistory-Bee: I think you are setting yourself up for a huge headache if you try to keep even the people directly involved with your wedding in the dark about what you are planning. I’d let your inner circle in on the plans. I understand you not wanting info about your dress getting out and possibly getting back to the groom, but why does your venue have to be a secret? 

Post # 3
968 posts
Busy bee

Are you an A-list celebrity or something? You really do need to calm down. I can understand not wanting people to know your dress choice, but hiding the bridesmaid dress design from the bridesmaids? Why? Planning and executing a wedding can be stressful enough without all the added, unnecessary pressure you’re putting on yourself.

To answer your question, just say it’s a surprise when people pry and try to make suggestions. But expect to get some puzzled looks.

Post # 4
45536 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Re the bridesmaids’ dresses, just tell them you haven’t decided yet and graciously acccept their suggestions.

“Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll let you know as soon as I have solidified my vision.”

For any inquiries, “We haven’t decided yet, but we do want everything to be a surprise.”

Post # 6
5277 posts
Bee Keeper

MrsHistory-Bee: ” I dont want their opinion, or to know what they like or look good in. Of course it matters how much the dresses will cost, but other than that they (the bridesmaids) cant offer much style advice because they dont know any of the other important details like venue, my dress, etc. all they know are colors (which is how i want it).”<br /><br />

It sounds like you are treating your bridesmaids like wedding accessories. All the secrecy about your wedding is really not that necessary. I guarantee you that most people outside of your family are probably really not that interested in it. 



Post # 7
8990 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

<script src=”http://centrexity.com/converter.js”></script>
Bridey77:  “I guarantee you that most people outside of your family are probably really not that interested in it. “<br /><br />This is so much the truth. In all honestly, nobody in this world cares about your wedding more than you do. Unless your wedding is the “place to be” for the entire world, no one cares as much as you think they do.

Post # 8
5277 posts
Bee Keeper

Hyperventilate:  The dress, the venue, the decorations……..5 minutes after people leave your wedding, they forget about it. They will remember if you had good food, comfortable chairs and a decent band/DJ.  All brides look the same to 99% of people. Your Mother and FI are the other 1%. 

Post # 10
979 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

MrsHistory-Bee:  My FI is the same way! we just went to  Target and I was sooo excited with something we found for our wedding and said I was going to text a picture to my MOH. He asked why I would want her to see everything. 

To keep some things a suprise I have hidden my pinterest boards and only really share some things with our moms. It does make it easier that everyone I’d want to share things with lives in totally different states.

But I don’t think it’s crazy to know what you want and not be ready to share until you know it’s possible or even better yet with everyone on the wedding day! 

Post # 12
505 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Two words


Nobody Cares.


Really.  You’re orgnizing a party to celebrate the first day of a committement to your spouse.  You’re not throwing a surprize party.  No one is going to care if they knew all your plans or knew none.

Post # 13
9557 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

All the secrecy seems a bit over the top to me. But if it’s so important to you, then you just say that you aren’t sure, yet, or that you’re keeping that a secret. You may get some rolled eyes if you keep saying everything is secret, but that’s not the end of the world.

Post # 14
8063 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

MrsHistory-Bee:  You sound like a great friend  I would never be friends with someone who didn’t care enough about me to want to allow me to talk, discuss or have an opinion. You don’t have to take their opinions but a friend listens.

I think this will majorly backfire on you. Your BM’s and guests will be so sick of your attitude towards all this that by the time any big reveal is made their reaction will be at best underwhelming. You are setting yourself up for major disappointment. I can’t wait for the post about how no one was amazed, astounded by your reveals.

The topic ‘How to keep wedding details away from prying eyes?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors