(Closed) How to make this work?

posted 10 years ago in Ceremony
Post # 3
3316 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

You might look at a Unitarian Universalist church.  They are often willing to work with you to have a ceremony that works for the two of you, rather than insisting on a particular level of religious references.  And they typically do not require that you be a member.

Post # 5
118 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

You may also be able to find churches in your area that aren’t associate with religions (here in New Jersey, there are some churches that are affiliated with colleges, and you could do any kind of ceremony in them, if you bring in your officiant).

UU churches are another good place to look, and you may want to look at freelance officiants / Celebrants in your area too (http://www.CelebrantInstitute.org) if you find a church space to use but need to bring into your own officiant – they’ll work closely with you to create the ceremony with as much or as little religion as you’d like to include (it was where I was trained as an officiant).

Good luck!

Post # 7
873 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

I don’t know about your area, but there are several ‘heritage’ churches in my area which are not currently used as churches.  For example, there is a pioneer village which has 2 church buildings you can use for weddings which don’t regularly have services. 

Post # 8
101 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I know you found a place, Dizzy, but for anyone else in similar situations… if you’re in a university town check to see if they have a chapel; if they do, most likely it’s non-denominational and you can bring in any officiant you want.

Post # 9
7776 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I 3rd the UU church. They believe in religion being very personal and they will customize your ceremony any way you like. They can even do civil ceremonies.

The topic ‘How to make this work?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors