Post # 1
I’ve never known anything different to putting 1 or 2 coats of colour on my nails but now I hear of base coats and top coats and cuticle cutters etc,
aaah, where do I start? How do I do it properly?
My nails are really weak and brittle so I’m trying to be good to them
Post # 3
@AussieSummer: I use Nailtiques and put a coat on every day. It’s a clear polish with nail protein in it to help strengthen your nails.
Also, a good way to start taking care of your nails is to go and get a good professional manicure. They will clean up your cuticles and file the rough edges off of your nails.
Usually professional manicures have a base coat, 2 color coats, and a top coat (usually a quick dry clear polish).
Post # 4
A ridge filling base coat is essential, OPI and Seche make good ones. If you plan on trimming you nails at all beforehand you should probably stick with a nail trimmer instead of leaving all the work up to a nail file because a nail file can lead to splitting of the nail.
Post # 5
here’s what works for me:
-I use Nail Tek every day (that I don’t have polish on). I also use Nailtiques cuticle oil every night (it’s on my nightstand, so when I’m lying in bed I apply to each cuticle and then massage in).
-For painting my nails, here’s the steps I do:
- file my nails. I use a crystl nail file I got at Sephora. When it gets dull, I just wash it. I’ve had this sucker for several years and it’s still great. I file towards the center.
- After filing, I put a bit of nail polish remover on a cotton pad and swipe it over each nail (to get rid of any stuff on there)
- Sometimes I apply Nail Tek first. If I don’t, I go straight to base coat (I have Sally beauty Supply brand and it works awesome). Wait a few minutes for it to dry
- Apply 2-3 THIN coats of polish. i do one stripe in the center, and then one on each side. I don’t shake my bottle of poilsh, but instead roll it between my two hands. I wipe one side of my nail polish brush at i pull it out so there’s not a ton of polish. I wait several minutes between coats. I usually do my nails while doing stuff on my computer or watching tv.
- when I’m done w/ polish, I apply a top coat (either Seche Vite or Sally Hansen Hard As Nails. Seche dries a lot faster, but I find the Sally Hansen lasts longer. If I use the Sally and I’m in a rush, I have thse drops from Sally Beauty that help polish dry)
- Every other day I reapply top coat.
- If I get polish on my cuticles or anywhere that’s not nail, it usually peels off in the shower or bath. If I’m really concerned, I put a small amount of nail polish remover on a cotton swab (and dab any excess off) and then clean up any polish mistakes.