Post # 1
So, I really enjoy writing. I always have. But I am not sure how to start a blog. I really like following all types of blogs, my sister and her friend blog about celebrities, and their blog is hilarious! I also read political blogs, diy blogs, wedding blogs, home blogs, but I don’t know what I should blog about. I guess I need some ideas.
What do I blog about? Do I blog about my life? Or should I chose a topic? If I should chose a topic, what topic? Something I like to do (i.e. sewing, reading, diy’ing, etc)? Or a social topic (i.e. politics, world hunger, social media etc)? What do you blog about, other than weddings? What website should I use? Which website is easiest to blog on, which is hardest? What was your first post? What do you think an ideal first post is? Do I have to pick a theme? Can I blog about anything? What makes a blog cohesive?
Post # 3
I’m totally going through the same conundrum right now. I want to blog but I don’t know what to blog about. Sorry I’m no help but i’ll be saving this post. Looking forward to any and all replies.
Post # 4
Penelope Trunk has some GREAT advice about starting a blog. Check it out: http://blog.penelopetrunk.com/penelopes-guide-to-blogging/
She’s more focused on career related blogs but the principles can be applies anywhere. Think about what you’d like to get out of the blog and let that guide your choices.
IF I were you I’d choose a topic. That’ll help it be a blog and not a personal journal. But if you’re really looking for a personal journal, that’s fine too!
Post # 5
I really love blogging, and this is my two step advice:
- Just do it. Start writing whatever…and see where it takes you. After a few days, or a week, or two weeks – look at your blogs. You will likely see a pattern, or an angle that the entries likely share.
- If they do fall into a certain category (sports, music, celebrities, weddings, whatever!) you can then choose to go with that as your blog direction…or make a new one! Lots of people do more than one and that’s a nice way to filter as well.
Have a blast!!
Post # 6
I am a serial blog starter… so I think I’ve finally got a formula down pat.
1) Pick a topic and stick to it. Vague blogs on your whole life aren’t going to attract as much of a readership, and posts are more likely to be rambling.
2) Pre-write some posts before you go live, so that you don’t have dead time or rushed posts.
3) Edit! Don’t write and publish all in one sitting. Be concise.
4) Be visual. Use pictures, videos, and other media. It’ll make it a lot more interesting.
Post # 7
I love @lilyfaith‘s suggestions I also recommend reading some other people’s blogs, getting a feel for what you want to do with it. Blogger is a really easy system to start with, and WordPress is also excellent, I recommend either site. The plus about Blogger is that I find it easier to manipulate the little gadgets…. but don’t start with gadgets, start with writing and then worry about the details of layout etc.
Good luck blogging! I say think about things you like and pick something and just go with it… also the act of writing gives you an idea to THINK about what it is you want to say… and you may develop a different “theme” down the road- that’s okay too!
Post # 8
I’ve been wanting to start a blog too but am not sure how to start. What websites do you guys suggest? Does anyone host thier own blogsite (ie. not through a blogging website)?
Post # 9
@rnc620 I recommend Blogger or WordPress both are really user friendly and easy to “get started on”.
Post # 10
I want to start one, and I have a couple posts up my sleeve already, but I’m not yet engaged. So for a while, my posts will be about my adventures as a bridesmaid. However, I’m having trouble with what to name it. I don’t want to do anything explicitly “soon to be mrs.” seeing as I’m not yet engaged. But I do want something that will transition well into a bridal blog. Any ideas?
Post # 11
- Wedding: June 2010 - Ceremony - First United Methodist Church; Reception - My parents' house!
I adore it. Just go for it!
Post # 12
I want to start one but I don’t really have a lot of fun newlywed things to write about!
Post # 13
Thanks AzinAugust! I’ve read some stuff reccomending those two sites. Does anyone else have a site pfeferance?
Post # 14
i just started blogging about my wedding! i love to tell stories, even if they are kind of long winded.
i’m really surprised at how much i’m enjoying it, even if nobody is reading it. haha.