Post # 1
Good morning, Bees!
I’m on the east coast and preparing for Hurricane Florence, and was just wondering if anyone else is, too! I think it’s going to be pretty bad wherever it ends up hitting. I’ve been watching it for the past week and now that the models seem to be coming together, it’s looking rough for my area (Southeastern VA).
Where are you from and are you preparing for the storm? Anyone have a wedding this weekend they’re worried about?
Post # 2
- Wedding: September 2018 - City, State
I have a wedding this weekend. In Central/North-Central VA. I should probably be clear of the impact zone, but we could still be subject to travel delays, heavy rain, lashing wind … the works.
When I saw the forecasts, I laughed, because I don’t know what else to do. So much is going wrong with this wedding that I literally had the thought, “Maybe if a hurricane washes it away we can just go to the courthouse and save everyone a ton of trouble?” But that’s just me. I imagine most people won’t have that perspective. Hopefully it doesn’t interfere with anyone’s plans.
Hope you’re safe, simplebee92 :
, and that it weakens before it makes landfall. Such a terrifying possibility for so many people in SC/NC/VA.
Fingers crossed everyone is safe and dry!!
Post # 3
Central VA should be okay but definitely rain, I’m sure! Sorry it’s crashing in on your big day, but hey – rain is luck right?! Glad you’re having a good outlook on it 🙂
And thank you! I’m most concerned about the flooding because we’re in flood zone B but we can’t afford to evacuate so we’re preparing to hang tight!
Post # 4
I’m from the midwest so I have never experienced a hurricane first hand but we have definitely been getting the rainfall from them. Flooding has been the main issue here. Hope all stays safe and it dissipates before reaching land.
Post # 5
i just pray it dont shift and hit florida, i cant go another 9 days without power again, i still havent recovered mentally from last year going through that.
i guess just expect the worse, if you dont have a generator, GET ONE. It may be a pricey expense but you’ll thank yourself later if the power goes out for more then a day or two.
we had no generator the entire time. I wanted to die a little on the inside after awhile…
Post # 6
I am in Canada but my parents are at their house on the NC/SC border(coastal) and I’m quite worried for them – looking pretty nasty! They haven’t decided if they are evacuating or not yet but I am hoping they do since it seems like it’ll be a direct hit. I hope everyone stays safe.
Post # 7
I’m in southern VA as well, inland. We also have a wedding to attend this weekend, not sure how that will turn out. I feel so bad for the couple, I hope they can still continue with their plans. Luckily I don’t live in a floodzone, but there are areas in my town that have already flooded from heavy rain this year, so this hurricane could very well shut down my area easily. Not to mention power outages…I hope my fish won’t die. I’ve gone weeks without power from bad storms before, so if it’s as bad as they say it’s gonna be, I probably have that to look forward to :/
Most of all I hope Florence will just turn around and go back out to sea 😉
Post # 8
We have many loved ones in Wilmington, NC, including my son, so I’m terrified. We don’t live far from there ourselves. We’re getting prepared the best we can. Prayers to everyone in this storm’s path.
Post # 9
- Wedding: August 2019 - City, State
We’re in CT, and I hear the storm is going to hit here Thursday. Throwing a little pity party because Fiance is leaving Thursday night for the weekend and I’ll be home alone. Buuuut, it also may just be a stormy day/night, which is perfect for reading and getting wine drunk. Here’s hoping!
Sending love to all the Bees in much worse predicaments than I.
Post # 10
Hello! Also from south eastern VA. I’m on the peninsula. You on the South side? I’m sure they will get it worse then us. Definitely been doing some preparations. In fact I’m sitting at the DMV now cause my license expires soon and I don’t want to deal with it after the hurricane.
Post # 11
I was reading this morning that there is only a 5% chance that it doesn’t hit land. They were saying it was a 95% chance of hitting NC as a cat 4. >_<
Post # 12
Having dealt with Irma last year, I’m relieved that it doesn’t look like it’s going to impact FL, but scared for those of you in the carolinas/virginia. Stay safe guys.
Also, I really recommend following the weatherman Denis Phillips. He’s a Tampa weatherman, but following Florence (and any other hurricanes) around the clock, he updates every few hours. He doesn’t over sensationalize like the weather channel. He kept many of us in FL sane during Irma.
Post # 13
I’m in the DC area, and this morning I heard them calling for 5-10 inches of rain for us. In a summer that has been exceptionally wet, and particularly in a September that’s already received almost double the monthly average of rain, the ground just can’t take it. Even without the winds, we’re looking at just a LOT of water. I feel awful for the Carolinas and SE Virgina coast.
Post # 14
I’m over in Hampton! We get flooded really badly from just rain so I can only imagine what this is going to do. When we got hit by Isabel in 2003 it rained the whole week prior and it was only a Cat 1, so I’m expecting this to be pretty bad unfortunately.
Post # 15
I’m in Yorktown! Yep I remember Isabel being really bad. My best friends family lived in Hampton and her dad ended up taking is boat down the road cause the flooding was so bad. I lived in Newport News at the time and at least 10 trees came down behind our house. I basically expecting this to be the same or worse.