(Closed) Hurts during sex!…. Possibly TMI! :

posted 10 years ago in Intimacy
Post # 17
23 posts
  • Wedding: June 2011

Coming out of lurkdom . . .

The pain you describe sounds more like a yeast infection to me, not a UTI. Have you tested for that?

Also, I’ve heard that plain old KY is actually not good to use as a lube because it contains some sort of sugar, which would fit well with a yeast infection diagnosis. Better to use a lube that’s designed specifically for sex, like astroglide or something. (KY does have one of those as well–it’s the surgical jelly in a toothpaste-type tube that should be avoided.)

HTH! 🙂


Post # 18
4136 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

i agree with ribbons on the psychological part of it. get a full exam from your gyno for all possible infections and a cervical exam to check for any issues.

 other than that, use astroglide or navy lube (i would go to a sex shop and ask what they recommend for anal sex…that tends to be better) and make sure it’s water-based. try a couple different kinds in case you’re having a reaction to one, and make sure you use it very generously. spend a lot of time with foreplay.

Post # 19
129 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Ok I didn’t read all the replies so sorry for any repeated advice. My advice is based on personal experience and almost 4 gruelling years of med school so feel free to take it or leave it:

You were on a course of antibiotics so there’s a high liklihood that you have yeast infection which can cause a lot of pain during sex. Don’t bother go to your GP about this. Mis-management because of limited knowledge can lead to a prolongation of your suffering and more complications. I suggest going to an ob/gyn right away and if it IS a yeast infection, then ask for Diflucan. DO NOT use the creams as they can cause more irritation and abraision. They are super strong chemicals after all…

If it isn’t a yeast infection, you may be suffering from a number of other possibilities which a good gyn doc will explore with you and I won’t get into at this point.

Best of luck!!!

Post # 21
142 posts
Blushing bee

I haven’t logged into weddingbee for ages and ages… but I just had to in order to respond to your post.Your story is almost identical to mine, I swear.

My ex-fiance and I broke up over this issue. He couldn’t handle that I was unable to have sex sometimes. Eventually, after seeing a bunch of doctors, I got a diagnosis of secondary vaginismus. (Secondary meaning that you’re able to have sex normally for a while and then something changes.)

There are specialists here in Toronto, although it takes AGES to get in to see them. I got a referral back in August and my appointment isn’t until March, so I suggest that you go in to your doctor (or the Hassle Free Clinic, which is good for this kind of thing too) and they can get you an appointment with the vaginismus specialists at Mt Sinai or Sunnybrook.

Try the kegels. They make a big difference. I also purchased a set of dialators and with some practice they also seemed to make a difference.

It’s not all in your head. People may tell you that. But you have to advocate for yourself and for your body.

Although once in a while there are setbacks, I’m now finally able to have painfree sex. So it IS possible to get through this! PM me if you want to talk more, though!

Post # 23
561 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I had awful pain like you were describing and NO discharge… it turns out it was a nasty yeast infection still and I began to anticipate the pain from it so I’d tense up making it worse.  I used boric acid capsules to clear it up.  Hope you feel better soon whatever it is!

Post # 25
13561 posts
Honey Beekeeper

View original reply
@Sasha2011: Could you be allergic to the KY?

Post # 26
15 posts
  • Wedding: June 2011

Try to see a vulvar specialist (not just a gyno, but someone with expertise in the area of vulvar conditions).  If it feels like burning, it could also be vestibulitis.  In that case, you will need to talk to a specialist about possible creams or other treatments.  If it is vaginismus, consider purchasing some vaginal dialators (you can get them online) so you can slowly work up in size.  Best of luck!

The topic ‘Hurts during sex!…. Possibly TMI! :’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors