(Closed) I almost just killed my dog on Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!(not on purpose, of course)

posted 8 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
Member
3613 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

That’s crazy, I didn’t even know you could do the Heimlich maneuver on an animal. Glad he’s ok. That would’ve been a horrible Christmas otherwise 🙁 My previous cat died on Halloween four years ago and I’ve stopped celebrating it ever since. Is this the pup in your avatar? He’s such a cutie!

Post # 4
Member
1051 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

My family dog helped himself to milk chocolate truffles, peppermint truffles, and an entire 2lb bag of mustard covered pretzels, wrappers and all. To get it, my 35 pound sheltie somehow climbed onto a dining room chair and got up on the table to get the gift basket they were in. This is nowhere near the largest amount of chocolate he’s had before, about 7 years ago he ate somewhere around 12 pounds of Halloween candy. Still, he was a bit lethargic and he’s an older boy now so my mom hauled him in to the emergency vet. An hour and $107 dollars later, he was diagnosed with a stomach ache because he ate too much! The vet told us to bring him home and let him sleep off his thanksgiving dinner style full stomach >_<

Post # 7
Member
1222 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

So glad Frankie is okay! If that’s him in your picture, he is so freaking cute.

@saraja87: Our family dog ate about 1.5 lbs of chocolate and a full package of Oreo’s. My dad gave her hydrogen peroxide (it’s supposed to make them throw up) and she drank it like it was water. She had no side effects, none of it bothered her…what a weirdo.

Post # 10
Member
1051 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

@ caramia10 I think some dogs just have stomachs like camels. Our dog gets into everything, he must have eaten the chocolate (including wrappers) around 10am so by the time we got home at 1pm it was way too late to try and induce vomiting, which you generally want to do in the first two hours. Given his history, we would have been okay without the vet but it was so weird to see him quiet! After he ate all the halloween candy he had some chocolate symptoms, vomiting and restlessness, but even then the vet only gave him fluids and didn’t bother with charcoal.  I was worried about the wrappers this time but the vet said his digestive tract would have no problem handling some foil! 

Post # 11
Member
7975 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

OMG – I’m so glad your baby is okay!

I don’t think you can blame yourself though; it sounds like you’re being a bit hard on yourself because you made a little mistake.

Post # 12
Member
336 posts
Helper bee

@Leesh: Caffeine can also have side effects (cause arrhythmias, et) but theobromine is the toxic compound in chocolate that affects dogs. Everything depends on the type of chocolate, amt and the dog. We treated a 52# dog that ate about 6oz of semi-sweet chocolate 2 days ago and had severe vomiting and diarrhea for 24hrs. It is very serious.

Also, you should never administer hydrogen peroxide without consulting your vet. There is a max amt that should be given as a first attempt to induce vomiting, if it doesn’t occur- have them seen by the vet. 

Post # 13
Member
661 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

@twentyeleven:  yeah, I’ve always been told that while any chocolate is bad, semi-sweet is the absolute worst for dogs.

Post # 14
Member
2143 posts
Buzzing bee

the darker the chocolate (or the more pure cocao) the more dangerous it is for the dog. Chocolate baking powder for example could be very dangerous. A box of Little Debbie hohos? Not so much lol Not even the entire box. from experience, when my grandma’s mini schnauzer ate the whole box lol

Post # 15
Member
7770 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

Oh my gosh!  How scary!  Poor little thing!  I am so glad your Fiance rescued him.  Hopefully the little guy learned his lesson, so to say :/

Post # 16
Member
1641 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

Don’t be hard on yourself, we’ve all made pet errors! It’s WONDERFUL that Fiance knew what to do and did it. That makes you GREAT owners.

I think you should celebrate bigt time!

The topic ‘I almost just killed my dog on Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!(not on purpose, of course)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors