- 10 years ago
- Wedding: November 2009
I am so stressed that I just might call everything off! I am seriously facing one of the hardest decisions that I ever faced in my 28 years of living. My wedding is November 14th – so I am mid way there with the planning. My fiance and I reside in NYC, where the wedding is set to take place too. While the cost of the wedding has been beyond worrisom, I know that its going to happen. In addition to the wedding stress, I have constantly thought about our immediate future after the celebration is over. While we have been together for 71/2 years and living together for 6years, I am ready to start our little family.
So…with the out of control rent situation here in NYC and the country suffering thorugh a mortgage crisis, we made the decision to continue to rent right outside the city for the next two years and proceed with purchasing a home thereafter. The exact plan was to move from our 1 bedroom apartment a few months after the wedding (April ’09) to a larger apartment – 2 or 3 bedrooms. This way, I could work from home comfortably and we would have room for our future little one.
So…here is the major dilema! The current owner of our apartment has decided to increase our rent by 10 freaking percent – UGH! While we were planning to move into a larger place in exactly a year, we expected our new rent to be well over what we currently pay (increase included). So…while facing this annoyance, I have found myself surfing countless real estate listings on the internet just to get a clear idea of our future living situation. While doing so, I came across an add for an amazing home for sale in Bergen County, NJ. If any of you are familiar with the tri-state area, you know how close it is to the city (15 mins literally) and how nice it is there.
So…long story short – out of curiosity, I contacted the number on the listing and it put me directly in touch with the home’s owner. After talking with him for over an hour over the phone, he invited me over to take a look at the house. My fiance and I headed over there yesterday evening and all I can say is that we were instantly in love. The home is large (2500 sq ft – I’m originally from LA and would love to get back to my closet and kitchen having days), it’s in immaculate/pristine condition, it’s in an amazing neighborhood with Hudson River views, great school systems, everything that you could ever need on the main street (River Road) like Target, Movie Theatre, Whole Foods, etc. ITS PERFECT – I KID YOU NOT! Lastly, the real estate deal would be done directly with the owner and we would be able to move into home ownership. Our payments would basically be a little more than what we had planned/expected to pay once we leave our current apartment.
With all of this said – if we move forward with the house, I will have to cut our guests list from 130 to about 75 (and thats pushing it). I am sooo torn!!! While I know the smarter and more mature decision is to move towards home ownership and to secure our immediate futures, I am saddened and beyond stressed at the thought of cutting my wedding damn near in half – WTF! Not only would we have to cut the guests list but I would also have to renegotiate the numbers with most of my vendors – they’re going to hate me! And, to make things worse, we started making calls months ago to most of our guests to get their addresses, so they defintiely expect invitations. And – I have to let my current landlord know what I’m going to do about the new lease like yesterday. I just honestly wish they we could do both without the financial strain.
So my fellow bees – what do I do? This is such a hard decision – I am expected to have answers for everyone on Monday. But I just can’t think straight or focus on what needs to be done. Why does life throw curve balls at you when things are supposed to be happy and pleasant. And trust me – I know that I am making the decision to have all of these things hanging over my head – but what’s wrong with wanting to live in a nice house and still have the wedding of my dreams. I know, I know – I will defintiely have to give something up, but it’s just hard making the decision about what that something will be. Please help me – Any advice that you could offer would help me tremendously! Thanks so much!