Post # 17
Just talk him into buying the stone in blue nile and then have it put in the setting you like. It’s pointless to waste money on a crappy stone that won’t make you happy because you have to look at it for the rest of your life.
Post # 18
I would get a quote from ShaneCo for a stone with the specs you want, and then get a quote from Blue Nile/similar for a stone with the same specs, and then show him the difference in prices. Make it clear that those are the specs oyu want and that you don’t want to compromise, and then let him decide where to purchase the stone from. If he can afford to stump up the extra, and wants to, then let him. But make it clear you don’t want to compromise, and show him the price difference in black-and-white. If he can see a difference of hundreds of $, he might re-think.
Post # 19
@Clairetoris: I strongly advise against getting your main stone at Shane Co. That said, can you show us the setting and maybe we can find it somewhere else where your OH can buy the stone and setting in one place? Baring that, I really would try to convince him to get the stone from blue nile and the setting from Shane Co. You can return it immediately if it doesnt look good in person for some reason! You are not stuck with it or anything …
Post # 20
You are able to buy a diamond from bluenile to look at, then you can mail if back and look at a different one. It’s part of their policy. You can do that as many times as you like till you find one you love. I was going to buy my diamond from bluenile but the second I mentioned it to mg jewler he did what ever he could to keep me including dropping the price of my stone way down. We still paid 200 over blue Nile but it was worth it to have everything done at the same place. However if you buy the diamond elsewhere and have Shaneco set it I belive it’s 100-150 extra. So it kind of all evens out of you can bargain with them on the stone.
Post # 21
oh yeah the standards I wanted for my diamond didn’t come close to what they offered and I was talked I into a G si2. And changed it to a tripple excellent E vs2. It’s 100% worth it!
Post # 22
that is a GREAT idea, I am definitely going to do that!
That is exactly the hassle he is worried about, and honestly I don’t like the idea of getting a diamond at one place and a setting at another either so I completely understand where he is coming from also. But I am more than willing to do it if I can get a better quality and bigger diamond, and I mean significantly bigger and better. I am looking at a 1.25 carat, E, VS2, Ideal cut diamond on BN for LESS than the price of a 1 carat. G, SI1, don’t-even-know-the-cut diamond at Shane Co. If we weren’t on a budget we would take the high road, jacked up prices for sure. But now I think barbie86’s idea will pull one over on him though. He likes a good deal too and wants a diamond on my finger that he can be proud of.