Post # 1
My husband grilled some fish that his parents brought from a Greek island and I ate a very small piece. Because he told me what it was called in Greek, I didn’t realize until later that it was swordfish.
I did not have a big piece at all- I would say 1/3-1/2 cup of fish. But I looked it up, and it’s one of the fish they say not to eat AT ALL due to mercury, and that mercury does not leave the system. Yikes!
I figure since it wasn’t that much, how bad can it be? But should I be concerned?
Post # 3
I wouldn’t worry. There are so many things they say to not eat and drink during pregnancy (I’m guilty of many), yet many women do and their babies are just fine.
Post # 4
@Lyndzo: Thanks. I know you’re right…I guess I was just a little concerned that swordfish wasn’t under the “it’s OK in moderation” category, it’s in the “stay away” category. :-/
Post # 5
It sounds like you didn’t eat very much . I’m sure baby is fine! 🙂 maybe just mention it st your next appointment for peace of mind.
Post # 6
@Evie19: you should be finE. I wouldn’t worry.
Post # 7
no. & even if we said you should, you can’t un-eat it, so try not to worry
Post # 8
I think that it’s in the stay away because it has higher amounts of mercury than other fish so they don’t want you eating it in moderation, because it would be very infrequently that you could have it. All fish have mercury in them, and some mercury is okay, so ingesting mercury in moderation isn’t a big deal over the course of pregnancy. I would just stay away from fish for a couple of weeks to make sure you don’t overdo it on the mercury!
Post # 9
@MsKeee: That makes sense, thanks! That reasoning actually makes me feel better.
Thanks everyone for their input…