I bought a cheap moissanite off of Ebay [part 2]

posted 2 years ago in Rings
Post # 5
415 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

angelwaye :  SOOOOO divine !! What are the dimentions of the meghan ring again? I am looking to make a reproduction of my diamond e ring but instead of pears with the 8×7 cushion I’m tossing up betwee 4 and 5mm rounds.

Post # 5
1169 posts
Bumble bee

Luckyrabbit:  I love the band.  It is a smart idea to mix the cuts.. especially with step cuts instead of baguettes.  The most dissapointing ring I have bought so far is the baguette band.  There is nothing wrong with the production of the band but I now realize that moissanite baguettes have zero sparkle. 

somethingabitdifferent :  The Meghan ring has very balanced dimensions considering I was guessing on this as my first ring. The center is 8.5 mm and the rounds are 5mm rounds.  If your center stone is a little smaller than I would go to 4.5 mm rounds and I think that would look nice.  They can cut any size. The only thing I would do differently is to ask for the rounds to be H&A cuts instead of round brilliant so it looks a little more modern.

Post # 5
1169 posts
Bumble bee

marriedalready69 :  totally agree…it was fine in a 3 stone ring but not great in an eternity band. The French cuts have a bit more life but I bet luckyrabbit’s mix of step cuts and rounds will be the perfect combination. I think there has to be a cut that reflects the light or they look like plastic pieces. 

Post # 5
491 posts
Helper bee

devonrenee :  Because in some countries like Canada and Australia you pay $$$ in customs, duty and taxes. They declared mine as an $85 cz silver ring. I paid $35 on an $85 purchase. Lol. If they had declared the full amount which was like $1400-1500 and I had to pay ~40% in duty that would SUCK lol. I’m not complaining about that $35 lol. 

angelwaye :  That’s soooo well done! Ugh. This making me want one. Lol. 

luckyrabbit :  I love how it turned out!

Post # 5
491 posts
Helper bee

angelwaye :  can we see pics from the side??? I want to see it alllll lol.

Post # 5
1192 posts
Bumble bee

marriedalready69 :  The band was about $480 (not counting PayPal 5% commission fee or shipping). It was more than I expected, think the platinum what what did it. 

Post # 5
1192 posts
Bumble bee

Ok, I need you guys’ opinion. I’m getting a 7.5mm OEC. They decided to cut it for me instead of getting it from stock. The pics and video doesn’t make me jump with joy. The center looks hazy and fuzy to me. Or do you think it’s just the pics and videos? When I bought this up to Emily, she said the OEC takes a long time to cut and they made sure there was no problem, that the culet looks fine. That she uses iphone6s to take it, so maybe the camera is not so clear. And she wanted me to clarify. So does it look ok to you guys? Or do you know what I mean? I should have said the facets in the center to clarify. 

Post # 5
1169 posts
Bumble bee

luckyrabbit :  I wish she didn’t flip it so fast so we could see the front for at least 20-30 seconds. I think it looks like mine but maybe you can compare the still picture. I don’t know what their default cut is. Can you ask her if it is the same as mine?  If it is, then I am sure you would be happy. 

Post # 5
1192 posts
Bumble bee

angelwaye :  I’ll send her your pics and video and asked if the cut are about the same 

Post # 5
1169 posts
Bumble bee

luckyrabbit :  see if that helps. The video is just too quick to tell and sometimes the camera angle can make it look a bit off. You need s few more front facing pics in at least 2 different light settings if you are unsure before they mail it. 

Post # 5
1169 posts
Bumble bee

Nat82 :  Here are a few side pic’s.  As you can see, the band hits the basket of the OEC but not any prongs.  It doesn’t feel like it is going to scratch but I will have to watch it over the next few weeks.  I am also including a pic with the ring next to my sapphire ring that had hand miligrain and engraving.  You can see how delicate the miligrain is on the sapphire ring.  If I run my hands over it, it doesn’t scratch at all and never bothers my fingers.  This ring is leaving some marks so I am hoping my finger gets used to the bumpy miligrain or I will have to get it polished down a bit to stop that. Tried an indoor and outdoor pic so hopefully if you zoom in you can see the difference….

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors