I bought a cheap moissanite off of Ebay [part 2]

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 5
1245 posts
Bumble bee

Guess there is a picture limit so here is the last one….

Post # 5
1245 posts
Bumble bee

marriedalready69 :  Yeah…me too.  Part of this process is learning what you don’t like.  Now I just need my fingers to toughen up!

Post # 5
170 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2021 - Maine

Hi again! So I’ve spoken more with Sophia from Tianyu.

I told her I’d like a brilliant pear solitaire that is not completely white, and more near-colorless.

She’s let me know a few times that the pear will face-up more yellow because it is a fancy cut & that I should go with their DE color…  I’m afraid this will be too white for me.  I am wanting a 14k yellow gold solitaire for it. So there will be a little warmth maybe there.  Here is some of our converation.  I asked for videos of a F/G color pear but they have never made any so I have none to compare with their DE color pears :/  They’ve also sent me a customer video of their DE pears in the store, and they seemed yellow-ish to me.  I can see if I can upload that for you all to see.  

I would like a CAD created by them soon but I wanted everyone’s input here as to the color grade I should go with.  I just want a realistic stone that isn’t stark white. I can’t afford a bright white diamond, so I’d like a realistic looking 1ct moissanite (8.5 x 5.5mm) in a realistic diamond color. If that makes sense!

Also before I get the CAD, is there anything you suggest I tell to Sophia so I make sure I’m getting exactly what I want, or so I don’t make any mistake 😛 Thanks everyone!

Post # 5
170 posts
Blushing bee

This is the example of what I sent them for how I’d like the solitaire setting to look like for the pear.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/565208523/rosados-box-diamond-free-skinny-jane?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=pear%20cut%20moissanite%20rosados%20box&ref=sr_gallery-1-7&organic_search_click=1&more_colors=1 

I hope it doesn’t look like it sits really high or I’ll be bumping the hell out of it or uncomfortable with it… I’m not sure where else to find solitaire pear settings that don’t look weird to me. I don’t like some pear solitaires & how they seem to jut out awkwardly (that might be because some of them are larger in carats and it makes it look odd)… 

Post # 5
170 posts
Blushing bee

Here are the videos from Sophia. She said it was a customer video from a custom order, you can really see the yellow tinge a lot more.  It’s a DE color.  She says this in the first picture I posted of our convo.

The video password is: ring

hopefully you can all see it, let me know if you can’t ive never used Vimeo before and I don’t have a paid subscription  

https://vimeo.com/283832655

https://vimeo.com/283832322

Post # 5
1245 posts
Bumble bee

lovelylovelylife :  I am not sure how much response you will get to the pear cut because we have only had 1 person order a pear so far. I think I mentioned that last week that it was aquababe’s ring from Starsgem.  No one has ordered the pear cut from Tianyu yet.  I think SG sent you a copy of the photo of her ring and she went all the way down to J/K to get a warm color in yellow gold.

In the videos, it is difficult to look at loose stones when they are showing them face down or in a 6 carat size as they are always going to look more yellow.  Now that I have G/H stones from both companies, they still face up very white.  I am sure that through the body it may show more warmth but you can’t see that once it is set.  I think for yellow gold, it would make sense to stay somewhere in the F/G color range but I haven’t seen a pear in person.  You might want to ask what the color is on your etsy inspiration picture from that seller or look at YouTube videos from some of the other moissanite brands.  Part of being the first when ordering new cuts from China involves a leap of faith and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised. 

Post # 5
170 posts
Blushing bee

angelwaye :  yes it’s scary being the first one & this is also my first Moissanite ring! I’ve researched so much over a year and Tianyu seems like a good bet, just no one has had experience with their pears. I don’t necessarily want the same color as the inspiration pic, which I guess I should’ve clarified. I just wanted the setting replicated. The color of aquababes was beautiful! My goal is a realistic diamond color that isn’t pure white. Im not sure I even make sense to myself anymore 😂 I should probably just trust what Tianyu is telling me and go with their DE color… but I’m obsessive lol. 

Update: the ring inspo I sent to Tianyu is a Forever One GHI Moissanites. 

So GHI in color range. 

Post # 5
1245 posts
Bumble bee

lovelylovelylife :  If you are unsure, I would suggest ordering the D/E from Tianyu and a G/H from Starsgem.  For a 1 carat moissanite, I can’t see it being more than $100 for each stone.  I don’t know if you plan on having them make the setting as well?  If you are going to have the ring made by one of them, you can always get Tianyu to make the stone and setting and if you are unhappy with the stone, you can switch it out with the near colorless G/H.  I can’t see that ring being that difficult to make.  Not much more than $200.  This can give you some options and you can always return the stone (which make take awhile) or turn the loose stone into a pendant at some point.

If you read aquababe’s posts, she was worried that the J/K was still going to be too white.  I am pretty sure that the D/E stone will look as white as that etsy picture and not always the best compliment to yellow gold.  It is a personal decision though….

Post # 5
1192 posts
Bumble bee

lovelylovelylife :  It also depends on how color sensitive you are. I’ve got a round brilliant cut/H&A hybrid from SG and it was G-H color. For the most part, the faces up white, in certain lighting you can definitely tell it’s warm. You can see the color more from the side. The side stones, SG can only do colorless. So with the side stones and the main stone together, you can tell the color differences. I’ve also gotten to be more color senstive now a days, so I usually will now go colorless. 

My OEC from them was also G-H color and I COULD see the color in their videos and pics (it honestly looks yellow to me), so we changed it to colorless.

People are worry colorless will look fake because a colorless diamond would be super expensive. Try putting a colorless moissanite next to a CZ, now CZ is SUPER WHITE so the moissanite actually doesn’t look as white.

G-H color diamonds will face up whiter if there’s fluorescent (price could be even lower from that), that could be your excuse;)

I’d be really worry if they suggest I buy DEF because their GHI fancy cut might be too warm, and I go against what they say and it turns out really warm. North America’s GH color might be whiter than Chinese’s GH color. So becareful. Can’t wait to see the final product though^_^ Fingers crossing super hard for you!

Post # 5
491 posts
Helper bee

angelwaye :  the Bee was down for me the other night and ai forgot to come back to this lol. It looks great! They did a really nice job. I was wondering what the gallery looked like close up lol. 

lovelylovelylife :  I got what I think is G-H for my ACC. I don’t regret it. It’s warm in certain lighting (night) but in a glowy kind of way that is exactly what I was looking for. Looks pretty white in daylight. I think in a pear I personally would prefer D-E though. There’s something about that cut that i either would want fairly white or deliberately much warmer. Not so much in between. But again this is all personal preference. 

Post # 5
1192 posts
Bumble bee

You guys are really really bad, lol. I’ve been trying to stay away because I know I would want all the ringsO_O 

Post # 5
188 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

New to this thread, but thought I’d share this video of the stones I just ordered from Tianyu in case it’s helpful to anyone else. 

One 6mm and two 5mm round brilliant “forever one” DEF gems — https://vimeo.com/284367996 

They’ll go with some stones I already have, into a 5-stone ring I’ve started talking to David Klass about. Super excited but since DK is out for two weeks, it’ll be a while before anything happens. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors