I bought a cheap moissanite off of Ebay [part 2]

posted 2 years ago in Rings
Post # 5
955 posts
Busy bee

marriedalready69 :  I’m sorry it didn’t turned out as well as you had hoped. Could I see some pictures of it because I’m curious to see? I agree with PP, it might looks really nice as a gem in a necklace. 

Post # 5
955 posts
Busy bee

Emily sent me video of my OEC ring. It looks a lot thicker than I had anticipatedO_O But hopefully, it’s fine in real life. I asked her for some pictures so I could see certain details closer up.

Post # 5
149 posts
Blushing bee

luckyrabbit :  it’s beautiful though!

i got mine in today! I love it but it’s a little too big on my actual ring finger. You can see how it goes crooked. I think the “sides” are a littleeee too thick for my finger. I tried to get picture of it when I close my pinky to my ring finger it goes crooked and feels too thick. Maybe the sides can be polished down? I wonder how much that would cost at a local jeweler?  I also noticed that underneath the ring in the “triangle” open parts of the cathedral needs to be polished up a little more. I tried to get pictures of it to show it. What do you guys think? How’s the pear cut look? 

For reference: 14k yellow gold, 8.5 x 5.5mm pear approximately 1.08 carat. brilliant cut, DE color moissanite from tianyu! Ring size: 6.5 (need to resize a quarter of a size smaller I think) 

i was recommended to go for the DE color because their fancy cuts can look a little yellow. In hindsight I would’ve went with the GH for a realistic diamond look but oh well I still LOVE it!!!!!

https://imgur.com/gallery/P1jUQXb

Post # 5
149 posts
Blushing bee

Hmm I noticed the ring also doesn’t have any stamp on the inside.  Is this normal? It should be 14K But how would I know if it was or not? Should I ask Tianyu if it is solid 14k gold?

Post # 5
1251 posts
Bumble bee

Okay… Still no update on my ring. DHL still says “end of day” but it’s 9:13pm. So, what do they consider “end of day”?? No updates since customs clearance at 3am in Cincinnati. The note says the next stop is my house… But nothing about it being “out for delivery” or any of the usual updates you get. Ugh. I am.very.impatient. 

lovelylovelylife :  I think your pear is lovely, definitely a bit big for your ring finger. Curious to know about the gold stamp issue. 

Post # 5
156 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

lauralei101 :  I love your ring! Do you mind sharing the eBay site you ordered from and what the description was of the stone? And where you bought the setting and how you set it if you don’t mind?? (Basically a how to on replicating your amazing ring…)

Post # 5
664 posts
Busy bee

lovelylovelylife :  mine has it stamped on the bottom. I have to take a picture to see it because it is so small. 

Says 18k tygems

Post # 5
149 posts
Blushing bee

lilredcat :  aw that’s a bummer you didn’t get it yet.  I bet it will be there today! Did it say it was dropped off with the delivery courier? 

angelwaye :  Mine doesn’t have a stamp unless I’m REALLY blind lol (I’m not). I used a magnify glass & everything and could not see a lick of any stamp… Should I get confirmation with Tianyu that my ring is actually 14K yellow gold? I planned to take it to a local jeweler to get it checked over because I know it is a tiny bit too big for my finger.  My problem is I have knobby knuckles that I need clearance over. SO I think the fact that the sides are so thick, on top of being a tiny bit too big, has caused the ring to go crooked when I bring my pinky and middle finger closed together. 

The color in my opinion is colorless, when I was told it would be more yellow because it’s a “Fancy” cut. Kicking myself in the butt I didn’t go with GH color. But I love it still.

I hope if I take it to a local jeweler that maybe they can polish down the tickness on the sides for me (I’ll include a pic of it).  It’s just bulky.  Super sturdy ring & it fits like a glove on my middle finger… In all, I really love it. Just size needs to be tweaked & the internal part of the cathedral needs to be polished big time.

Here’s a link to more pics of the ring if anyone’s interest. I didn’t want to spam the whole forum with more giant pictures of my ring sealed I’m a little excited.  I appreciate any and all feedback.  This was my first ever custom ring! 

New ring

Post # 5
664 posts
Busy bee

lovelylovelylife :  I am very surprised that you don’t have a stamp at the bottom of the ring.  I checked my solitaire and I was able to find it at the bottom as well.  I had to really hold it up to light and tilt it to see but it was there.  Most countries legally require the stamp for jewelry sales so I am surprised.  I have no doubt it is gold but it is something you should mention to them.  

I am not sure why they suggested E/F for color.  Another bee got a J/K from SG and that was just a little bit warm.  I think if you were going with yellow gold that you would have been ok with G/H.  Yes, it is a little warmer but it doesn’t look like the old style moissanite yellow.  The color is more evenly warmer and natural.

I think you should also bring up the shoulders on the ring and show them pictures next to your band.  Can you post your CAD again and the inspiration picture that you sent them?  I thought you were going to more of a knife edge on this ring.  I don’t know if I was paying attention at the time you posted your inspiration ring but it is quite a bit wider in proportion to your center stone.  Before you spend more money trying to fix things with a jewelrer, you need to talk to Tianyu and express your concerns.  A jeweler would probably be able to reduce the shoulders and size the ring for you but paying the costs over here will cost probably half of what you paid for the ring to fix it.  Let me see your inspiration pic and CAD again.  Whenever I am making my rings I work out all the dimensions from my inspiration pic’s and tell them what I want in mm and that seems to work for me without any problems so far.  I am not sure what happened here….

Post # 5
1251 posts
Bumble bee

lovelylovelylife :  That is a very pretty ring! They must have forgotten to stamp it. How odd. I agree with Angelwaye about speaking to them vs a local jeweller. The cost would be so much less if they did it. Mind you, then you’d have to ship it back to China to make the adjustments. But worth asking for quotes from both (here and there) to compare.

Post # 5
664 posts
Busy bee

No surprise I have some more projects in the works.  I have been flip flopping back and forth between SG & Tianyu and I checked the stones with both, and SG just had better cuts for these.  I really loved luckyrabbit’s oval and I was thinking to try the crushed ice version but for the 11×9 oval they showed me, it just looked milky with almost zero fire.  I was also being talked into E/F and I just didn’t feel comfortable putting that in yellow gold, which is what I really wanted.  There is going to be a sort of knife edge in G/H stones 14K yellow gold with 11×9 center and 4×6 side pears in brilliant cut. Price was $611 inclusive of fee’s.  Here is the inspiration pic and oval video:

51DFAEE2-64C6-48A7-9AAE-345C8C4F6A30 from Angel Waye on Vimeo.

The second project was just by accident because I happened to notice they had some new canary yellow moissanites available in cushion’s on their IG page when I was researching the oval. I looked at Tianyu’s and they had that sort of chocolate brown color or champagne and I really wanted to try something in a fancy yellow.  I had originally wanted to have the center basket in yellow and the rest made in PT950 but they told me they would have to do white gold for two tone.  I don’t love rings that need rhodium dipping so I just went for the PT950 for the whole thing instead.  I haven’t seen anyone get the yellow moissanite stones yet so this will be interesting.  The stone is 12×10 elongated cushion with two 5 mm trillions on each side.  Tab prong in platinum and side stones in G/H.  Price was $687 inclusive of fee’s. Here are the inspiration pic’s and video of the stone:

5A2C6486-C83E-41D9-8C0F-86A4658F490D from Angel Waye on Vimeo.

I will probably get the CAD’s on Monday or Tuesday next week…..

Post # 5
39 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2007

angelwaye :  

I just asked them for the exact same ring!  I picked a 10x8mm elongated cushion with 5mm trillions in WG.  Cost was $500.  Was just waiting to receive my three stone before I pulled the trigger on it. 😁. Here’s my inspo pic

I also like this one, just afraid it will be “too” blingy.  Haven’t asked for a quote yet though.  6 ct center would be approximately a 13x11mm.

Post # 5
360 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

applebutter :  Oh i really like the band on the laat pic! Very pretty design! Im curious to see canary yellow moissanites!

Now if they make a believableb pink stone I’d be all over that. 

angelwaye :  beautiful classic design with the trillion cuts. I say go for it!!

marriedalready69 :  I’m so sorry you’re disappointed with your ring. Id like to see some hand pics anyway? I was so excited for you!

And for those of you who got DK to respond to you at all makes me feel like i did something wrong emailing him. I never got a response after 2 months. Wth? Guess ill stick with Tianyu and SG!

Post # 5
205 posts
Helper bee

I had my Blueworld5 moissy tested. 

The store had a moissanite tester so my ring came up as moissy. 

One of the clerks said that my moissy looked “too perfect” to be a diamond but it was far more “believable” than a white sapphire or CZ. That clerk also assumed that I paid over 2K for my moissy. 

I’m just glad that the stone is a moissy. 

Post # 5
664 posts
Busy bee

applebutter :  OMG….that is too funny!  If you like the way mine looks, you can go for something like that.  I also love the two tone look of many of the Harry Winston designs but I just hate having to deal with rhodium dipping of white gold and they don’t have the know how to work with yellow gold and platinum together.  There are always compromises.  If you are talking to Cherry, tell her to hand select the best one so you get a really good crushed ice with minimal bow tie.  I also saw that halo one on YouTube with a few other’s. It looks too much like my diamond halo though.  I think yellow stones probably look more realistic in a halo but I know if I make it too big, people will just think it is a CZ because the inspiration pic I attached was being sold on 1st dibs for over $50,000.  I don’t mind explaining that it is a moissanite but nobody around where I live would even know what it was and sometimes the story just gets too long……did you see this look?  I woul have gone for the double claw prongs if they could have done the center in yellow:

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors