I bought a cheap moissanite off of Ebay [part 2]

posted 2 years ago in Rings
Post # 6
1032 posts
Bumble bee

marriedalready69 :  I had the stones from Starsgem but I had the setting made by my stepson.  He has a custom jewelry design company in Stockholm. I knew SG couldn’t do the platinum alloy combo that I wanted plus the fine miligrain/engraving.

I think I saw the etsy company you linked from the other thread.  I’m not sure since I was looking on my phone but I think they were based in India. My only problem with the India moissanite is that it seems to be much more yellow then the ones that come from China.  I have even seen it mentioned on Alibaba as ‘off white India moissanite’ and I don’t know if that means the Forever Brilliant old rough.  Just thought I would point that out, just in case….

Post # 6
677 posts
Busy bee

Because of this darn thread, I gave in, and won a stone like this a couple of months ago mine is just over a carat). I haven’t had it checked out by a jeweler for authenticity, but even if it’s a glass stone, it will make a pretty right hand ring. The seller has good reviews. I love that it complements my Tahitian pearls. I am trying really hard to stay away from the moissanite listings on ebay now. Thanks a lot, Bees! 😂  

Post # 6
5 posts
Newbee

marriedalready69 :  I’m going to have to go see if u can find it, if it’s still there lol. I’m kinda in love with it and all I’ve really wanted was a splintery glitterball of a huge rb solitare. 

Post # 6
553 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

Can someone give me the contact info for Mona? Preferably email. Also does anyone have a contact that they love at Tianyu. Someone who’s not an asshole. I’m in search of a particular cut 

Post # 6
1197 posts
Bumble bee

mjay :  Mona isn’t with SG anymore, she’s off on her own. She has an ETSY store:

https://etsy.me/2YZHCLi

I heard she’s really nice.

My contact is Emily on Tianyu, but I don’t think I’ll try them again because even with Emily, it took a long time to get services once they got popular. I would only ever go to them again if I was desperate for round cuts.

Post # 6
1292 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Wow that’s so cool that Mona has her own Etsy store! I was wondering what happened to her. Thanks for the link!

Post # 6
331 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2005 - Greenwood

I just got this off eBay and it’s not that great. It was missing several stones too. It was supposed to be a 2.10 ct white moissanite and when I received it the stone was huge with a yellow tint to it, only in sunlight, it actually looks white and nice indoors. I measured it and it’s 11x11mm and it’s set in 14k white gold. I was going to return it because it just was not as described but the seller actually refunded my money and let me keep the ring! So here it is and I figure I will wear it sometimes. By The Way: i had the missing stones replaced.

Post # 6
63 posts
Worker bee

This thread is what motivated me to make an account so hello! It took a week but I’ve read through the WHOLE thing (and 200 pages in I learned that ring bearer = round brilliant ha ha). I’ve never seen moissanite in person but I love the idea of it. So far I’ve ordered 3 loose colored moissanites from eBay that are coming from India. Supposedly I’m getting a black-blue, a dark peacock blue-green, and a pair of grey blues, all rounds. I’m excited to see what actually turns up. The way I see it, I’m paying largely for the entertainment value of seeing what actually arrives. I’ll definitely post pics once they arrive.

I have a couple of general moissanite questions so hopefully this is a good place to ask. In a lot of pictures, white moissanites (and diamonds for that matter) are a gorgeous steely clear grey in direct sunlight and bright white under typical indoor lighting. I strongly prefer the direct sunlight pics and wouldn’t want a stone that looks white indoors. I’m guessing then that maybe I’d be really happy with a grey moissanite (or another color). Does anyone know if all of the colored Indian stones are coated? 

Second, I know many people want a moissanite that looks like a diamond and dislike the disco ball effect, but the biggest reason moissanite appeals to me is I want rainbows!! I have an alexandrite and white sapphire ring and I’m continually disappointed that the sapphires don’t throw rainbows. Is round brilliant the best cut for producing that effect? I’ve got some time before I’ll be getting an engagement ring but I love doing research so I’m starting now.

Many thanks! There’s a wealth of knowledge in this thread and I thank all of its contributors from over the years. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors