I bought a cheap moissanite off of Ebay [part 2]

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 6
170 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2021 - Maine

torid90 :  I love your ring it’s so beautiful! That is the style I’ve dreamed of but I decided to go with a solitaire cathedral pear instead 

ohiobee :  I took my Tianyu gems ring to a jeweler and they immediately tested it (awful and judgemental jewelers). It was a moissanite. So πŸ‘Œ I think they couldn’t believe a moissanite could be diamond like. They said I should’ve gone with one of their American moissanites and I’m like no sorry I didn’t want a disco ball effect. Which is apparently what they “love” about it. I wanted something less flashy and they couldn’t wrap their heads around it 

Post # 6
170 posts
Blushing bee

Here’s in office light. In warm light it’s warmer. Office led light is more white  

Post # 6
170 posts
Blushing bee

marriedalready69 :  I did have it remade by Tianyu and had to ship it back to them πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ so it was not a fun experience. I’m afraid the prongs are awfully small and I hope they aren’t weak πŸ€” I haven’t been proposed to yet so I’m still holding on to it and occasionally contemplate its existence πŸ˜‚ my boyfriend is a slow mover..

Post # 6
53 posts
Worker bee

Hi Bees! I love this thread! I immediately put in offers on eBay after only reading the first 3 pages lol! I am not sure if this has been asked already but I was wondering has anyone purchased a gem such as moissanite on eBay but received something else for example cubic zirconia or glass?

Post # 6
415 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

angelwaye :  the Eva ring is actually being worked on as we speak! The lab ruby from cherry was way too pink for me but the setting is divine. I remembered an old gem contact from these forums — chrisukcz and I found he has included lab rubies. I bought a 10×8 to see colour and I REALLY LIKED IT !!! it’s a much deeper red and has lots of inclusions which is more realistic. 

The cut is shocking though so my jeweller is currently working with his cutter to recut it – it’ll be a little different it’ll stay 10×8 not 9×8 but the setting can accomodate it. I can’t wait to get it. 

I had a radiant made by Provence and had it with me the day I dropped off Eva but it was on my lap and I think as I got out of the car it fell off and I have lost the damn thing!!! Which is super frustrating but to be honest I didn’t love the crushed ice radiant like i’d hoped I would. Here’s the two rubies side by side and i’ll Send pics once Eva is done ! 

Post # 6
1239 posts
Bumble bee

somethingabitdifferent : I was having a stupid moment when I responded to the wrong person.  I must see this when it is complete. I love the red ruby color.  That will look so much better than the SG version of the stone. I found a gem cutter too and I have a yellow tourmaline being cut.  I was hoping it would be a bit rounder so I could do this halo but he said the shape calls for an oval.  I have been debating on getting the loose lab diamonds from SG or getting some OMC’s off of ebay.  I really must have a halo like this.  I keep thinking about it and have slowly been collecting all the pieces to get it done.  I would love to have a ruby version of this as well of course after seeing your’s.  A red spinel could have worked too but I think the color that you got is much closer to what you were after in the first place and will definitely elevate the setting. It has that ‘pigeon blood’ red ruby look to it.

Too bad about the Provence ring. Well someone is going to be very happy when they find it because they probably won’t even think or know about moissanite! I saw it briefly on the Provence board.  Radiant’s and crushed ice are still a little bit difficult in moissanite cuts.  They are getting better but they still have a ways to go.

Post # 6
415 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

angelwaye :  it really is divine it’s made extremely well and moissanite of this size are really stunning. It won’t have the exact same look as Eva now that the more elongated stone is going in but it’s a sacrifice I am willing to make for the colour and that extra mm gives the ruby more punch. My jeweller was very impressed with the stone. 

Omc’s in a halo like this would be gorgeous !! 

Post # 6
1239 posts
Bumble bee

somethingabitdifferent :  This is so gorgeous now and looks so much closer to your original inspiration.  It is kind of hard to tell it is not really a ruby.  Goes great with the nails too!! I should have my yellow stone in a few days.  I need to see it in person so I can figure out what the best setting is for it. I really, really wanted an OMC halo but I would have to buy a vintage one and pull it apart. It is not easy to find 5-10 point OMC stones loose. 

Post # 6
53 posts
Worker bee

I won a few auctions on eBay which originally said free shipping but after the auction ended the shipping was an additional $30! I decided to cancel the orders. Has this happened to anyone?

Who are some sellers you’ve purchased from and recommend?

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors