I bought a cheap moissanite off of Ebay [part 2]

posted 2 years ago in Rings
Post # 6
1162 posts
Bumble bee

marriedalready69 :  It looks like you can sort by price and by clarity.  He said they are working on making the other fields sortable and adding a lot more diamonds this week. Wish I could get the 4 carat cushion or emerald!  Even at $7000 for the cushion, it isn’t too bad considering what I have spent on so many settings lately.

I will post my latest SG moissanite since I am here.  I need to look throught the pics real quick.

Post # 6
1162 posts
Bumble bee

I am hoping to have this by Friday with my other two rings.  I am not sure how I feel about the moissanite.  This is not one I had a chance to look at real good before the jeweler started working on it.  I am glad I found some vintage diamonds from Ivy & Rose at least.  The setting looks pretty high though because I didn’t want the pieces that stick up on the side like the last antique cushion I did from SG that had tapered baguettes.  The moissanite is looking a little hazy and not cut as good as my other one.  I think I might be done with anything over 8×10 because they are just too deep. If it doesn’t look great in person, I am going for a recut or I am going to put a gemstone in the setting.

This was the first one:

This is the redo:

https://imgur.com/a/8MsViWN

Post # 6
42 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2007

That is so pretty.  I’ve been looking at it for weeks.  Pulled the trigger this morning on the asscher version.  https://youtu.be/zf3Khq9LSMs
I did upgrade to gold per your recommendation.  Can’t wait to see it!marriedalready69 :  

Post # 6
42 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2007

Well, I made a mistake.  I “upgraded” the asscher cut ring to the 6.5ct colorless radiant moissanite.  https://youtu.be/Xvkld-nIHwY  

Do not underestimate the actual size or how large the stone is like I did.  It is HUGE!  My husband actually laughed out loud at it when I opened the box!  It is also not colorless as described, more of an I/J color.  Perhaps not as yellow as a FB but a lot more so than my GHI F1 was in my opinion.  It is a beautiful stone but definitely not for a color sensitive person.

Unfortunately, he won’t accept it as a return.  During the ordering process I asked for double prongs instead of single prongs which he is now stating has made it a “custom” order-not returnable or exchangeable.  Did not diclose this to me when I made the request.  Just wanted to put it out there so anyone else who is considering ordering from him will know this so they don’t experience the same frustration I am going through.   

He now has it posted as a design anyone may purchase. https://youtu.be/2VWVzkFAyvY  

Here’s a picture of it in my office.

Post # 6
42 posts
Newbee

Long time lurker here.  Been stalking this thread for months lol…

applebutter :  who did you order this from again? I can’t remember… it doesn’t look colorless at all. 

And does anyone know what happened to eBay sellers loosemoissanite and diamondtresure? They have disappeared.

Post # 6
10 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2008

Hello, I wanted to show off my sparklies 😃.  From the top, the oval is a Harro 9×6.5 moissanite in a custom setting that was my 10 year anniversary upgrade from .92 not-such-great quality diamond.  I got the stone 20% off for Black Friday!  I love it, it’s sparkles so much and it’s much more noticeable on my finger   Then my original e-ring 😁.  Next is a $25 Asher cut blue green moissanite from India. This was also set in a custom setting with store credit I had with the jeweler from the first ring.  The third ring is a blue/gray radiant cut moissanite that was about $12 from eBay. I had it sitting in my drawer forever and then I finally decided to get it set in sterling silver from a seller on Etsy.  Strangely, this stone doesn’t have much sparkle unless it’s in sunlight, then I get the rainbows. Total cost was about $80. The last ring is a $25 I/J  Moissanite from eBay set in a CZ setting that held CZ center from Amazon. I was able to remove the center stone and set the moissanite in the setting myself thanks to this thread which taught me how to do that!  Total cost for this ring was about $45.  Thanks ladies for all the great tips and advice that helped me obtain my beautiful sparklies!  

Post # 6
48 posts
Newbee

Wait, whaaaaat? How do you set a stone yourself?!

Post # 6
10 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2008

annabla : I bought a prong lifter and jewelry pliers from Amazon for prob $15 total. YouTube helped me figure out how to do it. It’s not perfect but no one will notice but me 🙂

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors