(Closed) I completely forgot about the marriage license (California bride)

posted 4 years ago in Logistics
Post # 2
296 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2018

 I’m an Oregon bride but I’m assuming it’s the same, my Maid/Matron of Honor got their marriage license in their hometown and then got married a few hours away, but still in the same state. Her sister signed as a witness and I believe that the best man did as well, but traditionally the Maid/Matron of Honor and/or Best man sign as a witness. I would call the courthouse or go down to one because they will know for sure, but I would almost guarantee you can do it in any county. If you’re not having anyone else at your wedding (like if you’re eloping) I’m not sure if the officiant would also count as a witness but I don’t see why not. 

Post # 3
6310 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

View original reply
mikaylaauel :  Looks to me like you need to take your license/ID and divorce/death if you’ve been previously married, to any county clerk office and purchase your license. 


This is pretty standard in most states. If you still have questions I’d call the county clerk’s office and ask them.

Most states (at least mine does) allows you to purchase your license in any county, it does not have to be the one you are getting married in. It appears that to be true for CA as well, but again, call the clerks office to confirm. I do know in my town you can only pay with cash/check, so make sure you plan ahead in case they don’t take credit cards.

You do not need anyone else with you. Only you and your fiance sign when applying. Your witnesses will sign after the ceremony once they’ve actually witnessed you get married. 😉

Post # 4
8007 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Where I live (not CA) we had to have certified birth certificates, photo ID and had to get the marriage license in the same county in which we were marrying. Most municipalities have checklists and detailed info on their web sites these days. If in doubt, call. 

Post # 5
44 posts
  • Wedding: December 2017 - Lancaster Registrar

I got married in California at the registrar. You can get it at any county in California. You can fill it out online here. You Both have to show up to pick it up with ID’s(California ID or driver’s license). You would pay $91 for public or $85 for confidential.

Post # 6
332 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

I don’t think you can get the license from any county, I think every county has its own thing, but I’m not sure. In our county we just had to show up with IDs, fill out the form and pay the fee and that’s it – the form asked for some weird info (like both parents’ full names, including middle, and birthdates) but IDK if it was really required. Nothing crazy like birth certificates, blood tests, or waiting period. IDK about other counties though. Definitely google [your county] marriage license, it’ll tell you what you need to know.

Post # 7
103 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

I live and got married in California. You can get your license in any county. Check the county’s website for the exact information/documents you’ll need to bring. I was able to do the application online, so the appointment took all of 15 minutes. 

The topic ‘I completely forgot about the marriage license (California bride)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors