- 7 years ago
- Wedding: April 2016
Now I’m probably going to sound like a bitch with this post but I’m really stressed right now and just need to let it all out.
Our beautiful, amazing, wonderful, sweet furbaby Clyde passed away in October 2014, we had him for 8 years after rescuing him when he was 1.5yr old, we said after we lost Clyde we’d never get another dog, then it changed to we’d get a girl dog so she wasn’t “our little man” like Clyde was, then we said we’d foster so we could save dogs like Clyde was saved – we’ve come a long way I guess.
So about 4 weeks ago on facebook I saw a post from the pet rescue community where we adopted Clyde from – a Mastiff x Staffy had been in the pound for 7 days and if he didn’t find a foster carer he was going to be put down the next morning. Not thinking it through I reached out to the rescue place and told them we’d take him until he finds somewhere (FI and I had already talked about fostering so I thought it was the right thing). He is a very sweet boy and the foster place actually let us name him, we went with Leroy :). He was sad and so so skinny when we got him but in the weeks we’ve had him he has put on weight and is really playful and happy!
Now Fiance is attached to Leroy and has told me he thinks he would like to keep him.. the bad thing is I’m not sure I want to… I told Fiance this last night and we ended up fighting about it. I haven’t bonded with him like Fiance has, I’ve tried but I just haven’t found that “I want to keep this dog for the next 10-15 years” moment.
Also, if we keep Leroy we will need to get another dog to keep him company, he was found abandoned with another dog and was very upset when they were separated to be fostered. In the first 3 weeks of having him he escaped once because (from what we imagine) he was lonely/bored and scared. My FSIL’s dog is staying with us for 2 weeks and Leroy is over the moon, he is a whole new dog which is what makes us think we’d need a second dog to keep him company, we work full time so having another dog to play with would help.
I was listing some pro’s and con’s last night and I still don’t know what to do…
1. he is loving, cuddly and happy. He has a funny little personality, he thinks he’s a little dog when he is the exact opposite, he just comes and sits on you like its no big thing 🙂
2. he gets along with other dogs – our family has dogs and it’s nice to know we could take him with us when we visit (our Clyde never liked other dogs)
3. if we keep him we 100% know that he is never going to be abused, abandonded, underfed again!
1. he is big.. (36kg and his head reaches my hip) I’m used to a smaller dog who could sleep on the bed and be in the house and not be able to reach the kitchen bench!
2. he jumps – we’re trying to teach him to stop but so far no luck, he’s scratched me quite a few times (I know he doesn’t mean it but I’d hate for him to jump on someone and really hurt them).. what if when we have a baby he is still a jumper and he hurts the baby or something?
3. we’d need a 2nd dog which would mean double food, double vet fees, double everything!!!
4. what if I don’t love him as much as I loved Clyde, or what if I love the 2nd dog we get more? I’m terrified I can’t give him the love he deserves 🙁
Has anyone ever had a situation like this? I just don’t know what the right decision is, Fiance and I had agreed to just wait until someone showed interest in adopting him to make the choice but the longer we have him the more my Fiance gets attached 🙁
This is sweet Leroy