(Closed) I don't know where to start: Immigrating to the US

posted 6 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
726 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

@cirk:  Someone can correct me if I’m wrong – but since you’re already legally in the country, you should be able to get married and then adjust your status without even having to apply for a seperate visa. I am not completely sure on this though. 

I’d reccomend posting your question on visajourney.com – good luck! 

Post # 4
1750 posts
Buzzing bee

@cirk:  I think once you marry a U.S. resident then you can stay with no problem. I am not 100% sure though.

Post # 6
1471 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

@Irish Terrier:  I believe this is true. Also recommend, OP, that you check out http://www.visajourney.com! They are awesome!


@Soladylike:  This isn’t exactly true. IF you are there on a legal non-tourist visa, and marry, the process is easier (adjustment of status). It still requires paperwork, money and visa interviews. If you are coming from overseas to marry an American (as I am) the process involves something called a K1 visa. This takes an average of 8 months to obtein, and a lot of stress and money. There is a similar process if you are bringing someone you are already married to over – a long, expen sive visa. Both of those visas then require you to complete the adjustment of status.

The topic ‘I don't know where to start: Immigrating to the US’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors