- 7 years ago
- Wedding: May 2012
Although our wedding is 17 months away, my Fiance and I are working on budgeting. With having the day off due to weather, I’ve been researching a lot of things. Here’s my next question!
I am going to have five bridesmaids in our wedding party. I was trying to figure out the “cost” for them being a bridesmaid, and here’s what I’ve come up with:
- Dress ($150-$200, plus alterations)
- Shoes (they can wear any open toed, black, heeled shoe)
- Hair/Make-up (this is optional, they can do their own, but if they want it done, they will be expected to pay for it)
- Travel/Wedding Weekend costs (varies, as described below)
- Bridal shower (from talking to family members, one aunt would like to throw me a shower, FI’s aunt would like to throw one, and while I would like my bridesmaid’s to be there, I completely understand if they can’t, due to distance, and I would NOT expect them to bring a present)
Here’s where it gets a little tricky. Maid/Matron of Honor (my sister, who will be 24 when we get married) will be living out in California, and have to fly in for the wedding (plus other things–this won’t be a problem, my family will help her out, but it is a LOT to ask of everybody involved). Another Bridesmaid or Best Man lives in Washington state, one lives four hours away, one lives two hours away, and one actually lives in town.
I want to make sure that I am getting them nice gifts. I know that’s not what it’s about, but I also understand that these events are really expensive. I’ve been a bridesmaid three times, time # 4 is coming up, and I’ve been a Bridesmaid or Best Man for 4 out of 5 of the girls (MOH isn’t married yet, but I am fairly confident I will be in hers one day!). I really want them to see how much I appreciate them.
How much would you recommend spending? Would it be appropriate to ask each of the girls if they would rather have part of their gift be me paying for something for the wedding? I don’t want to come off as rude.
Plus, I kind of want to do something special for the two that are flying in (MOH and my friend from Washington). They are traveling really far, and this really adds to the expense for them. I also don’t want to be rude, by having the other BMs think I don’t value them as much, because they didn’t travel as far.
Any advice regarding what to buy, a price range, opinions, etc. is welcome! Thank you! 🙂